Electrician Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
But, I should have read the installation Manual:

NOTICE
Protect the automatic transfer switch from construction grit and metal chips to prevent malfunction
or shortened life of the ATS.
Connecting Power Conductors
After the power cables have been tested, connect them to the appropriate terminal lugs on the
transfer switch as shown on the wiring diagram provided with this Series
300. Make sure the lugs provided are suitable for use with the cables being installed. Standard
terminal lugs are solderless screw type and will accept the wire sizes listed on the drawings
provided with the Series 300. Be careful when stripping insulation from the cables; avoid nicking
or ringing the conductor. Remove surface oxides from cables by cleaning with a wire brush. When
aluminum cable is used, apply joint compound to conductors. Tighten cable lugs to the torque
specified on rating label.

I'll have to do it.
The US NEC only requires compliance with instructions included with the listing or labeling. If the instructions are not including on the UL listing sheet, printed on the same label as the listing mark, or included in installation instructions that bear a listing mark then enforcing so called warranty boiler plate is, by definition, arbitrary and capricious, There are general service and installation guides published by manufacturers, professional associations, NEMA... Does the AHJ's inspector get to pull that fluffle of fast breading rabbits out of his "hat?

--
Tom Horne

Page 36 would be what I consider to be the most relevant.
Page 8 says it is recommended for both copper and aluminum. Don't cherry pick what you want and claim it "clear cut".

And don't forget the compound on your next copper install.

"Recommended" is different than the instructions on page 36 explicitly showing and describing using de-ox to terminate this specific manufacturers aluminum cable. If I was the inspector and this was the information I had from a manufacturer then I would be requiring de-ox on aluminum terminations. Which is what every electrical inspector in my home state of WA does. Maybe you just want to try to argue, or maybe you truly don't understand the difference between manufacturers instructions and recommendations.

ASCO does not make the terms. But if the AHJ enforces that you may be stuck.
My last paragraph is the most profound:
Manufacturers and requirements:
Actually, as in EVERY trade material, the manufacturer DOES include specifications and they are REQUIRED to be followed by all building codes.
As an example regarding "joint compound" for drywall. If one reads the material specifications they will find that new joints and even texture are not to be painted until a minimum of three days after applying compound. If you have ever seen paint "fall off" new joints you would understand why.
The same is true in this trade. We have torque specifications, they are NOT in the code, but provided by manufacturer. We have codes for wire gage, however, each manufacturer publishes its wire gage and type amp limits. Those sometimes vary from each other, code or not.

Noalox:
With regard to noalox, eastern facing main panel in full sun (copper). 4 years after install random electrical issues of all kinds including overheated neutrals etc. Removed all wires and reinstalled with noalox. 12 years later still no issues. Noalox seems to help with heat related issues and or with conductivity.
Do I have to use it with copper? No. If it is near the water (especially salt) or facing east, west or south and exposed I will always use it 100%.

The biggest issue, Inspectors:
I spent many years in quality assurance and inspection. The PROPER method of writing a "rejection" is in this format which proves the issue and resolves any argument or question of an Inspector being a little Napolean. Example:
IS: bare aluminum wire landed in panel lugs
S/B: approved anti-oxidant coated wire landed in panel lugs
PER: ASCO (Manufacturer) installation documents and NEC XXXX.YYY

Here in California knolux is required on any aluminum connection regardless if it’s old or new. So my guess is that lux is the lubricant and corrosion resistance same as knolux
Where in the California Electrical Code does it require lux or lubricant on all aluminum connections? The only thing I've found is this quoted below. And it only states that the devices need to be listed for the conductor and IF you use a compound or inhibitor it needs to be suitable for it. I don't see where it is required. I'm not arguing I'm trying to figure out if I missed a code section somewhere in the CEC.

EDIT: I should add, other than following manufactures specifications if they call out for it.

"
110.14 Electrical Connections.
Because of different characteristics of dissimilar metals, devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum), unless the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use. Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment. "

This is my future son in law. He doesn’t know yet.
The link didn’t work for me. I’m curious. He doesn’t know he’s your future son in law yet? Are you getting him to the alter with a shot gun?

Discussion starter · #73 ·
The link didn’t work for me. I’m curious. He doesn’t know he’s your future son in law yet? Are you getting him to the alter with a shot gun?
He asked me and then officially proposed to my daughter, fancy ring and all. Wedding date late 2022. Will delay my retirement a year.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.