Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This new generation 3 tesla charger is so compact that I cant fit a teck connector into it.
I was using 6/2 teck cable and the teck connector hub wouldnt allow the unit to sit on the installation plate. I had to use a threaded coupling and chase nipple to make it work.
Anyone else run into this issue? How did you solve it?
For exterior installation btw.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I think I know what your talking about - I just wired one up the other day with carflex and I was worried for a second that I wouldn’t be able to fit the 3/4” carflex connector in the installation plate.

For those who aren’t sure what he’s talking about, there is a neck around the 3/4” hole that doesn’t allow a bunch of room for the connectors. At least that’s what I think he meant.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an idea, but w/o a pic? I’m sure if I saw it I’d come up with an idea on what would work. Just me I’m a visual kinda lectric worker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I have an idea, but w/o a pic? I’m sure if I saw it I’d come up with an idea on what would work. Just me I’m a visual kinda lectric worker.

I “think” he means this

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I “think” he means this
Yeah, that looks like Dog $h17, for as much money as someone spends on a power wall , you’d think Tesla the ground breaking company they are would build them like brick $h17 house. I think Generacs battery packs are way better for the money.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,072 Posts
The teck connector pictured by newbie is a weatherproof connector. Dry type connectors are suitable for non-weatherproof environments.

And much, much cheaper.

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Hackenschmidt
12,231 Posts
I am not sure that armored connector would fit either...

I thought that NEMA specified all the things like the exact size of KO holes and clearance around the hole etc. so you could avoid this kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if their product designers missed that. I have heard some stories from Tesla's manufacturing facility, one of my customers does some work in there. Let's just say, I don't get the sense they are a great engineering company. That plastic around the hole looks flimsy, too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've only done two chargers up to now. For the Tesla i did, HO wanted surface mount emt. Ugly, but i did it. It took the 3/4 connector no problem. Compared to the Bosch i did previously, the Tesla seemed very flimsy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts