Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am overseeing a project and we have discovered several damaged reels of 500 MCM wire. They range from blemishes to large gashes some are 4 or 5 raps down in the reel. I talked to a engineer about testing the wire and he said that he had never seen 600 volt wire on reels field tested .

I came up with spraying the wire down with a water hose and saturating the reel then meg between the conductor and the wet reel.

Other ideas LC

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need a way to determine that the wire is damaged before we set up for the wire pull. With the damage 4 or 5 raps in there is no way of telling the wire is damaged until it is too late. If we see the damage in the first rap we will not use the wire.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
We had some 15KV wire how up on a job site that was damaged a on some inner wraps. We backcharged the supplier for the time to pull it in and back out.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
In another life, I worked in the QC dept at a wire manufacturer.

The water needs to get in between all the wire, just wetting is not a good test.

Dirt and other elements can create a path back to gound.

Wetting the reel is not exactly a full reel test. It will pick up the fault if it exists but only
reflect what got wet and in most cases will not affect the inner winding inside the reel.

To truely test a complete reel you need to soak it in water for 24 hours,
and yes we did this. This is usually done on MV cable, which has a outer jack,
a wrapped ground, a inner isolation material of approx. .1/4", then the wire.

When you load it up, just be ready for the shot gun sound if
when it does fault.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks CADPoint. I had thought about immersion but we do not have a tank that size on a moments notice.

THANKS AGAIN LC

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Thanks CADPoint. I had thought about immersion but we do not have a tank that size on a moments notice.

THANKS AGAIN LC
So did you get acceptable readings with your method?

What did the manufacturer say was acceptable?

If the readings were considered low, as others have indicated, they will only get worse, if/when the wire ages or get fully immersed.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I agree with Nom Deplume. I can understand not wanting to find bad wire 3-4 wraps into a wire reel. But why are you wanting to spend YOUR TIME AND MONEY doing the testing when you ordered NEW wire from your supply house? Are they going to reimburse you?

I have no doubt if we had this issue, my boss could call any one of the supply houses we order from and they would be scrambling to correct this screwup. A good supply house would realize it isn't worth the loss of your business over a few damaged cuts of wire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I ran into this very issue.called up supplier and with some persistence and a threat of non payment they took the wire back and replaced it at no cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts