Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Louisville KY area, wanting to get back into electrical work part time while staying with my full time employment. At least until retirement (not far away), just planning on obtaining my license during this time.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
From the Louisville KY area, wanting to get back into electrical work part time while staying with my full time employment. At least until retirement (not far away), just planning on obtaining my license during this time.
Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

How long till retirement??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supply House

According to some opinions, I should possibly start looking here (supply house) for part time employment (learn parts, equipment, and gain as much knowledge as possible). With that being said, does anyone know of a supply house in louisville looking for help? I have time on my side and wanting to go in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't say close, just not to far away. Every day that I put in is one day closer. Just the way that I look at it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Years go by quick, and you ask yourself where did it go.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I didn't say close, just not to far away. Every day that I put in is one day closer. Just the way that I look at it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Years go by quick, and you ask yourself where did it go.
I know what you mean. I am a lot closer than that. What you have to remember, though, is to concentrate on the good things about your workplace. There are good and bad but relish the good things. To me, to be saying, "Man, I am glad I am out of there", would be equal to saying that I wasted a part of my life there.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
According to some opinions, I should possibly start looking here (supply house) for part time employment (learn parts, equipment, and gain as much knowledge as possible). With that being said, does anyone know of a supply house in louisville looking for help? I have time on my side and wanting to go in the right direction.

I've NEVER met a supply house guy that would make a good electrician. I've met several GOOD supply house guys who USED to be electricians. You can't learn the trade behind a counter.

·
Banned
16,095 Posts
I've NEVER met a supply house guy that would make a good electrician. I've met several GOOD supply house guys who USED to be electricians. You can't learn the trade behind a counter.
A good counter guy is few and far between. Most are making barely above McDonald's pay and know almost nothing about electrical products, in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me, I love my current job. I'm just getting myself ready for my next career. I'm a firefighter that works a 24/48 shift, 12-13 years from now my daughter will be 14 years old. And by that time I would like to be home (and available if she needed her dad for something). I would just like to be home on nights and weekends for my family. So with that being said, that's why I'm looking into some part time work, obtain my license and go from there.

And I also appreciate the reply's regarding the supply house. I just want to get my foot in the door somewhere. And always have an open ear for suggestions (what works and what didn't).

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts