·
Registered
10,626 Posts
I wonder what editions 1-6 said?

Reactions: 2dogs

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't even begin to imagine how things were in that time when they discovered electricity. What we know to be true, were only speculations in their minds. It's unbelievable to me. The first "electricians" were the finest physicists and scientists of their time.

I wonder where the point in time was when it was "hey you apprentice, come touch these 2 wires together!" :laughing:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sparky305 said:
I can't even begin to imagine how things were in that time when they discovered electricity. What we know to be true, were only speculations in their minds. It's unbelievable to me. The first "electricians" were the finest physicists and scientists of their time. I wonder where the point in time was when it was "hey you apprentice, come touch these 2 wires together!" :laughing:
If you study the history of the IBEW then you see how bad things really were back then. One out of two linemen getting killed. The IBEW was basically set up as a funeral fund, and for widows and orphans.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I can't even begin to imagine how things were in that time when they discovered electricity. What we know to be true, were only speculations in their minds. It's unbelievable to me. The first "electricians" were the finest physicists and scientists of their time.

I wonder where the point in time was when it was "hey you apprentice, come touch these 2 wires together!" :laughing:
1974....:laughing::laughing::eek:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The electrician I started under in the early 80s used the old finger method. Just lick it and stick it. Of course, the biggest part of my job was trying to keep him sober long enough to finish out the work day so I don't think he felt much discomfort

·
Registered
83 Posts
The electrician I started under in the early 80s used the old finger method. Just lick it and stick it. Of course, the biggest part of my job was trying to keep him sober long enough to finish out the work day so I don't think he felt much discomfort
It's crazy, and I have no science to back it, but I believe. . . a big reason alot of these drunken old timers didn't get killed was cause their body was so dehydrated (from hungover, drinking), that it didn't conduct enough current to kill them due to lack of water in the body.

Now I know we all know it only takes milliamps to kill you but it makes sense in my head! lol :no:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Back in 1986 I was working at the Smithsonian Buildings in DC. Worked with a bunch of real old timers and learned a lot from them. The one thing that I didn't want to learn was how they checked for a live circuit. They would touch the 120v circuits with there fingers and the 277v stuff with the back of their hands. I asked why the back of your hand with the 277v, and they said if you have a live circuit it would make your muscles tighten up and you would not be able to let go. I said no thanks and I will stick with my wiggy tester.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.