Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gravitated to this renovation game sort of by default when I started my business. I would have done anything for a buck but it just sort of morphed over time into renovations.

Let me say that doing renovation work isn't easy when your trade background is construction.

Most of what you guys call "hack" is not hack. It's figuring out ways to get things done that are efficient, safe, code compliant and look good in the end.

I made a lot of mistakes learning this end of the business and wasted a lot of time. It was almost like serving a new apprenticeship except I was teaching myself. Two things saved me - I have really good people skills and this forum taught me a lot of things. Sometimes there are actual glimmers of wisdom on this site :) .

Anyway, just wanted to say, "Thank you".

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Awesome man, so it's working out? Congrats!

What kind of jobs have you been taking on? What exactly is required to be a "general contractor"?

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome man, so it's working out? Congrats!

What kind of jobs have you been taking on? What exactly is required to be a "general contractor"?
Will still be yanking wire but moving into general contracting over the course of the year. This is a GC I have worked with for three years and he is wanting to go into semi retirement.

Client mix has been in the mid range - people with a budget in mind and the bucks to do it - but we are moving towards the higher end stuff. That will mean developing a relationship with an interior designer. An interior designer with good selling skills is worth gold.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
Glad you got something positive from the site. There are many knowledgeable people here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts