Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you trace a run from a rooftop and find the one you need to cut on a lower floor.
You pull all but one wire out and get your saw and it’s late on a Friday afternoon.
By the time you cut 1/2 way you just know something just feels wrong, but your committed to the cut.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You walk out of the pump room and you don’t hear any screaming, it’s quiet and no one is peeking out the office doors and all the light are still on.
You begin to trace back you new found run and end up in an old switchgear room.
on the back wall almost hidden you find an old Hoffman box with a bunch of stop buttons on them. It’s only labeled rooftop exhausts, None of them have power.
Your heart is beating as you make it to the higher roof were all these new exhaust fans are located. (It’s an old building)
You find your new run stubbed up and into an old tiny penthouse. You haven’t been in this hidden space in 10 years. But you remember the two old MCC’s that were in it. They were face to face with 28” working space between them.
you open the door and thinking the worse you enter the tiny space and find the lights don’t work. But you can see something nice. A brand new row of combination starters and no MCC’s. They have been removed.
Off on the back wall were you run is stubbed in you spot an ATS. You open it up and there are your wires.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now you might wonder why I wrote all this.

It’s been 25 years since I cut a run and made this kind of mistake. I checked and traced that pipe several times. I was 100% sure I had the right one. I was wrong and I was lucky it wasn’t energized.

I also wish that when this run and all the gear associated with it was abandoned they had finished the demo and pulled it out. Even a sticky note would have been nice.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckin' Fuukey !! 😂

You must have done some good in your life !

Good part, you raised your heartbeat for a good 30mins without having to exercise :)
Ya it raised it real high as my heart dropped to the floor and beat quickly at my feet.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love it when a plan comes together. 😊
Being the good employee I later retuned to the shop.
I figured I would tell the boss. I began with the story and showed him the picture.
He turned pale and his mouth dropped and he asked, "You fixed it right"?
I told him I pushed the pipe back together and wrapped it in white tape. (I didn't)
I then finished the story and showed the other picture.,

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you line it up perfectly, then the wires will connect back up 😂
Monday I'll yank them out and put a coupling in.
I did write a note on the old stop station down in the vault.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As we like to say, don't f*ck something up on a Friday.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I know, touching something late on a Friday is a rookie mistake.

When I told my wife about it she reminded me that Friday is "Admiration Day".

·
Registered
Electrician
1,565 Posts
You should have known right away that the wires were abandoned by the color of the wires. If you cut a circuit that was very important all of the wires would be the same color to make it extra difficult to replace and reconnect everything correctly.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out in the end. The conduit you cut looks like it might have exceeded 40% fill anyways so really you made an improvement to the system.
I don't think you are the only one here that has made that very same mistake. I know I have. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,372 Posts
And you mentioned it was a Friday. The whole “Friday’s for the men” attitude is Bull&hit. Friday’s for the contractor.

Monday through Thursday is for the men!:ROFLMAO:

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should have known right away that the wires were abandoned by the color of the wires. If you cut a circuit that was very important all of the wires would be the same color to make it extra difficult to replace and reconnect everything correctly.
The old wires I cut were spliced in a box on the roof, beyond were I cut that's why the ones in the ATS were new. We still have and use a lot of old runs. The job I was doing was an example of out with the old and in with the new. My plan was to intercept a run and plant a thermostat in a pump for the exhaust fan I replaced.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts