Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The “Nothing new after two” attitude may get guys laid off. But in this case may have prevented a heart attack!
Even if I waited till Monday morning, I would have still cut the wrong one.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And you mentioned it was a Friday. The whole “Friday’s for the men” attitude is Bull&hit. Friday’s for the contractor.

Monday through Thursday is for the men!:ROFLMAO:
Friday afternoon is for me.
It normally gives me a jump on Mondays schedule .

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,840 Posts
This was the POCO trying to finish up quick at 3pm on a Friday. The short fried the GEC, backfed into the house and set it on fire.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
When I worked for the city I pulled up to a single family home for final inspection.
Smoke was rolling out of the soffit above the service.
Called POCO and they were there in about 4 minutes.
Of course had to fail the inspection.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,404 Posts
When I worked for the city I pulled up to a single family home for final inspection.
Do you have a code ref for smoking soffits in the NEC ?? :p

·
Estwing magic
25,668 Posts
I wired a subpanel wrong on a Friday. Fired it up and watched the insulation on a neutral wire bubble and burn back before the breaker tripped.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
This lit a fire inside the poor old lady's walls. They put her up in a nice hotel and paid for all the repairs. What I was told by the POCO supervisor is that the lineman shorted the meter repeatedly. Like blowing it up the first time didn't cause him to stop and think about what he was doing. The conduit you see coming out the bottom was no longer attached, the steel around the lock nut was vaporized.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Why cut it when the pipe union is right below?
Because the pipe was mounted rigidly and I could not get the coupling apart. The idea was to cut only enough to slide an 11b in the space after the cut. That's why it's cut so close to the coupling. Can you see the box connectors on the floor?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,820 Posts
Do you have a code ref for smoking soffits in the NEC ?? :p
112.687531(P)217323(z). Thou shalt not have smoke being emitted from a soffit.

Exception. If the smoke is from a source other than electricity, it shall be permitted.

See, our wonderful precious code covers everything!

Maybe I shouldn't print this, those idiots might just adopt it.........No, wait......it'll be ok, there's no extra money for them here........

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's what the white tape is for; only white tape will line up all the wires.......
The TW lined up real nice, the wires would naturally pair back up.. It's the buddy system you know.
The white tape is only because the conduit was painted white..

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,060 Posts
That's what the white tape is for; only white tape will line up all the wires.......
If it’s 208-120 or 240-120 volt, then yes white tape. If it’s a 480-277, then you really need to use gray tape. If it’s 600-347, just pack snow around it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should have known right away that the wires were abandoned by the color of the wires. If you cut a circuit that was very important all of the wires would be the same color to make it extra difficult to replace and reconnect everything correctly.
If all the wires are the same color you can cut the conduit back, being carefull to not get the wires this time, then carefully examining the writing on the wire.
Manufacturers put the wire information every so often on the wire (every foot??).
Match up the lettering on the wires.
Cut into the wrong conduit with 12 wires in it, nothing was hot.
Got 10 out of the 12 right the first time.
We "phoned" out the wires to verify we had them right.
No circuit tracers back then.
We used old phone handsets with a nine volt battery.
Still have those old phones.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,239 Posts
Friday i called poco and told them i had a 3 phase lift station down as i had lost C phase and the cutout fuse on c line was out at the transformer. (this is a temporary as pike is replacing the poles)
2hrs later i called again and left another message, A hr later i called again and now im a little upset and i make that know on the message.
Now they finally call me back and tell me that it's a smart meter and they had checked and the problem was not on there side which is why they keep closing the tickets. I pointed out that this was 3 phase not single phase and they need to send someone out. After a few minutes arguing i had to agree to pay the service charge if the problem was on my side...blar...blar ...blar.

Then i see a pike truck so i chase the crew down and ask them to check the fuse to see if it failed to latch. Great bunch of guys and with in minutes they send a bucket truck to take a look. Turns out that the cable came in contact with a temporary support so they add a pool noodle over the support and replace the fuse. Called poco back and told them to cancel the ticket as i had pike fix the problem and if there's a bill i will forward it to them. That got them all excited...lol.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If all the wires are the same color you can cut the conduit back, being carefull to not get the wires this time, then carefully examining the writing on the wire.
Manufacturers put the wire information every so often on the wire (every foot??).
Match up the lettering on the wires.
Cut into the wrong conduit with 12 wires in it, nothing was hot.
Got 10 out of the 12 right the first time.
We "phoned" out the wires to verify we had them right.
No circuit tracers back then.
We used old phone handsets with a nine volt battery.
Still have those old phones.
I still have a pair of sound powered phones from years ago. They work great for things like that.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,373 Posts
I wired a subpanel wrong on a Friday. Fired it up and watched the insulation on a neutral wire bubble and burn back before the breaker tripped.
Care to eleborate? I know you've got skilz, but still....

·
Estwing magic
25,668 Posts
Care to eleborate? I know you've got skilz, but still....
🤣

It was a small Square D sub and I got neutral and a hot reversed. I was half asleep and working stupid hours. I watched the insulation on a branch circuit neutral bubble and burn back about 6” before the breaker tripped. It was a bad day. I fried the circuit board in a water softener ( I got lucky and found a new one on short notice).

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,373 Posts
Hah! had a similar thing a few weeks back where I used the 24Vac leads on a RIB on 208V.

Reactions: 99cents
21 - 40 of 67 Posts