Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Residential Electrician
52 Posts
🤣

It was a small Square D sub and I got neutral and a hot reversed. I was half asleep and working stupid hours. I watched the insulation on a branch circuit neutral bubble and burn back about 6” before the breaker tripped. It was a bad day. I fried the circuit board in a water softener ( I got lucky and found a new one on short notice).
Was it in a panel like this? Thankfully mine just went to a temporary breakout box and I only had to replace a gfi. 99% of the time the line lugs are the same height so out of habit while in a hurry I Ianded the feeders in the wrong spot. Glad the gfi would’t set so I noticed something was up. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,272 Posts
You begin to think you’ll get home on time as you see that someone has smiled down upon you this day.
its been abandoned.
Let me guess, you didn't stop and buy your retirement ticket (I mean lotto ticket) on the way home. You missed your chance. :)

·
Estwing magic
25,591 Posts
Was it in a panel like this? Thankfully mine just went to a temporary breakout box and I only had to replace a gfi. 99% of the time the line lugs are the same height so out of habit while in a hurry I Ianded the feeders in the wrong spot. Glad the gfi would’t set so I noticed something was up. Hypothetically speaking of course.
Yep, that’s the one.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Let me guess, you didn't stop and buy your retirement ticket (I mean lotto ticket) on the way home. You missed your chance. :)
I get more excitement burning a $5 bill knowing I won’t win anyway. I’m Irish and didn’t inherit the luck.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,017 Posts
I see it differently, (I’m a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian) he just used up all of his luck for the day and should drive home at 30 mph or whatever that is in Canadian dollars.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All the wires pulled out easily on Monday morning.
Renamed the pipe and installed a coupling.
Both ends marked as to were they go. It was about 40# of wire that got tossed into the dumpster.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,335 Posts
All the wires pulled out easily on Monday morning.
Renamed the pipe and installed a coupling.
Both ends marked as to were they go. It was about 40# of wire that got tossed into the dumpster.
Do you always throw money away like that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You walk out of the pump room and you don’t hear any screaming, it’s quiet and no one is peeking out the office doors and all the light are still on.
You begin to trace back you new found run and end up in an old switchgear room.
on the back wall almost hidden you find an old Hoffman box with a bunch of stop buttons on them. It’s only labeled rooftop exhausts, None of them have power.
Your heart is beating as you make it to the higher roof were all these new exhaust fans are located. (It’s an old building)
You find your new run stubbed up and into an old tiny penthouse. You haven’t been in this hidden space in 10 years. But you remember the two old MCC’s that were in it. They were face to face with 28” working space between them.
you open the door and thinking the worse you enter the tiny space and find the lights don’t work. But you can see something nice. A brand new row of combination starters and no MCC’s. They have been removed.
Off on the back wall were you run is stubbed in you spot an ATS. You open it up and there are your wires.
View attachment 155755
"Off" still works! :unsure:

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,937 Posts
Do you always throw money away like that?
He is government, no can do. When I worked on base we cut up welding cables all the time when they were BER. We would fill up a 4'x4'x3' bin a week. I hated it because they paided someone to haul it away.

Same when I shut down a P&G plant, we paid someone to haul away SS pipe and copper wire, employees could not take anything.

Cowboy

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why cut it when the pipe union is right below?
Because it is a coupling and not a union or rather an Erickson coupling. I suppose one could cut through the coupling with an angle grinder on opposite sides of the pipe and take the coupling's 2 halves off of the conduit but all I would gain is finding out that I had made a mistake when I traced the conduit pathway. I'd still have to pull it all out. There is no way to get any kind of coupling; Erickson or otherwise; on that conduit while there is wire in it.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your in doubt then ring it out. I always rang it out if the pathway was convoluted. Having made that mistake once was enough. 2 A batteries, a 3 volt bell, and a set of clip leads. Do keep in mind that 45 years ago when I moved up to journeyman test equipment was a much bigger chunk of your take home pay than it is today. A genuine Wiggy didn't come with a continuity tester. Meg the conductors at what I believe to be the far end at a test voltage just half again the voltage to ground or as close as the Megger's settings will get you, jumper them in pairs, see if the bell will ring on every single wire in the raceway and if you are planning to use them again mark the pairs with numbers as you go.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,335 Posts
He is government, no can do. When I worked on base we cut up welding cables all the time when they were BER. We would fill up a 4'x4'x3' bin a week. I hated it because they paided someone to haul it away.

Same when I shut down a P&G plant, we paid someone to haul away SS pipe and copper wire, employees could not take anything.

Cowboy
Took myself and another guy 8 hours to fill this bin, just finished an hour ago:

All telco wire. Too far to ship to make it worth while for me.

My pile (the good stuff) is about 1/3 that size. I'll go pick it up after supper. I'll start tearing out the 750DLO tomorrow. I made it clear to the client before I started that the scrap is mine. They agreed.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,937 Posts
Took myself and another guy 8 hours to fill this bin, just finished an hour ago:

View attachment 155807

All telco wire. Too far to ship to make it worth while for me.

My pile (the good stuff) is about 1/3 that size. I'll go pick it up after supper. I'll start tearing out the 750DLO tomorrow. I made it clear to the client before I started that the scrap is mine. They agreed.
Around here that dumpster would be empty by morning, no mater what kind of wire.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts