Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know that instant you find out you got the bid you didn't really want so you thought you'd priced it at absurdville numbers?

Anxiety and a little excitement mixed in with more anxiety...

Probably happens less if you're biding projects some other poor bastard actually has to work on but when you're the one standing in wet clay for 12 hours it really does a number on your emotions.

Lol

Can I get an amen?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Profit aside, it seems most jobs give me some type of anxiety. But I'm a worrier to begin with.

Lately I've had a few jobs run way longer than I anticipated. That really gets my anxiety going!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Profit aside, it seems most jobs give me some type of anxiety. But I'm a worrier to begin with.

Lately I've had a few jobs run way longer than I anticipated. That really gets my anxiety going!

Glad I’m not the only one. Basically every job I do has something that I’m anxious about.

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,851 Posts
Glad I’m not the only one. Basically every job I do has something that I’m anxious about.
Me too. I went to a job at 6 this morning to check splices with a light bulb. The scissor lift was getting sent back today. It was bugging me all weekend. Everything was good but I wanted peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,949 Posts
@TGWElectric ,I know you've been here since 2019, however I would appreciate it if you followed the link below on how to fill out your profile. It's required. Thank you.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
2,800 Posts
Ya know that instant you find out you got the bid you didn't really want so you thought you'd priced it at absurdville numbers?

Probably happens less if you're biding projects some other poor bastard actually has to work on but when you're the one standing in wet clay for 12 hours it really does a number on your emotions.

Lol

Can I get an amen?

Called around and got 3 quotes all of them well over priced. I called the lowest quote and the contractor was upset to find he had won and asked to rebid a higher number.

Fun watching that guy working in a blast freezer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Had one last spring, looked like nothing but a giant headache.

Priced it high, then added a bunch of fancy new tools into the price, then added another 25% on top because I didn't really want it.

They called in October and said I got the job, but it had to be done within 15 days. I declined and referred them elsewhere.

After hearing how much difficulty the other guy had, I'm glad I missed that opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had some anxiety all day because I had to hang a chandelier from a 14' ceiling this evening. In the end, it went smooth as can be. :)

I have 4 boxes to cut in to a ceiling in a funeral home on Monday. 18’ ceiling. Pain in the butt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 4 boxes to cut in to a ceiling in a funeral home on Monday. 18’ ceiling. Pain in the butt.
Yep, that would keep me up at night.

I just got a job to add several ceiling fans and recessed cans to the first floor of a two story. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do it yet, but need to not destroy too much drywall, if any. This job will be on my mind for sure...

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,331 Posts
Yep, that would keep me up at night.

I just got a job to add several ceiling fans and recessed cans to the first floor of a two story. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do it yet, but need to not destroy too much drywall, if any. This job will be on my mind for sure...
I’ve got the same kinda job... it doesn’t keep me up at all... I’m just gonna rip out the rock where I need it and not give it a second thought.

That’s what rockers and painters are for.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is a perfect example of why you should know your raw cost of any project before you put the final markup on it. People who sq/ft price or price by the opening are buying up all the Xanax

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,348 Posts
I am actually a fan of a "flat rate" price schedule. You win some you lose some, but that does not work on projects or unique situations.

What "stresses me out" is having to rely on other people to keep my project going. As an example, waiting for a trenching company, concrete pour, etc. Those are variables that I have no control over but effect my price / estimate dramatically. If I lose a couple of days labour because I am waiting for and dancing with another contractor it is costly and then it becomes "stressful".

Cheers
John

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve got the same kinda job... it doesn’t keep me up at all... I’m just gonna rip out the rock where I need it and not give it a second thought.

That’s what rockers and painters are for.
I hear what you're saying. I did tell the customer to budget some dollars for drywall repairs. But I've seen some guys who are like ninjas...they can damn near rewire a house, add a bunch of new lighting that didn't exist before and you'd never notice they were there. I guess in my mind I'd like to think I'm capable of this kind of work...but...doubtful.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,331 Posts
I hear what you're saying. I did tell the customer to budget some dollars for drywall repairs. But I've seen some guys who are like ninjas...they can damn near rewire a house, add a bunch of new lighting that didn't exist before and you'd never notice they were there. I guess in my mind I'd like to think I'm capable of this kind of work...but...doubtful.
I know some houses, like back east, they have furring strips they use and from what I have seen guys use that as a chase for fishing in cables.

Around here that isn't the case, so there is no option but to cut the sheetrock. Now I do see a lot of guys doing the small hole and then blind drilling with a flex bit through several joists/rafters at once, but that to me is just asking for trouble. You have no idea what is on the other side of a joist/rafter. Is there a CSST gas line? Is there a bunch of NM cables? PEX water lines?

I tend to cut a strip, that lets me see what I am drilling without damaging something that can flood a house or cause extremely expensive repairs from a plumber, HVAC guy or, even a framer if there is a hidden glulam beam. Sheetrock is relatively very inexpensive compared to that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know some houses, like back east, they have furring strips they use and from what I have seen guys use that as a chase for fishing in cables.

Around here that isn't the case, so there is no option but to cut the sheetrock. Now I do see a lot of guys doing the small hole and then blind drilling with a flex bit through several joists/rafters at once, but that to me is just asking for trouble. You have no idea what is on the other side of a joist/rafter. Is there a CSST gas line? Is there a bunch of NM cables? PEX water lines?

I tend to cut a strip, that lets me see what I am drilling without damaging something that can flood a house or cause extremely expensive repairs from a plumber, HVAC guy or, even a framer if there is a hidden glulam beam. Sheetrock is relatively very inexpensive compared to that.
Cutting back the walls doesn't bother me near as much as having to cut on the ceilings. All the ceilings around here are textured, which are darn near impossible to match with a repair.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,537 Posts

Lol

Can I get an amen?
You forgot the absurdville x2 !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts