Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my old Husky needle nose pliers the other day, and quickly realized how horrible they are.

Any recommendations for a new pair that could, for example, easily remove tabs on receptacles?

·
Estwing magic
25,845 Posts
Yeah, I lost my needle nose a few years ago and never replaced them. I just make strippers work. Maybe one day I will buy a nice Knipex pair.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
I got a pair of the new Milwaukee needle nose/strippers and am really starting to like them.

I never use needle nose enough to carry them. I have been looking for an excuse to buy these though.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/CHANNELLOCK-...MIy-rE982x2wIVx0GGCh0uRgNeEAQYASABEgLB__D_BwE

I like channellock because they cross hatch the gripping portion on their pliers. Klein just has directional parallel grooves.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I like those, I bought a pair for my road box and ended up liking em so I got a few more pairs for other boxes.

They are pretty small tips, not great for twisting, I use em more for mechanical stuff like roller chain links, holding small roll pins, popping retaining clips.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,668 Posts
I have both Channellock, Klein, Knipex for years and like them all.

The Klein is great for just about everything but the smaller tips on the Knipex are great for working in small panel when pulling terminals and such.

The Channellocks are pretty much relegated to working in the garage.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Agree with Klein and Knipex. I like my longnose pliers without a cutter for better jaw closure. While the Klein 8 inch models are rugged and durable I do prefer the longer/thinner nose of the Knipex 8 inch/200mm models.

The ones without cutters are their 38 series 'mechanics' pliers and the ones with cutters are the 26 series 'snipe nose with cutters'. I bought the 38 15 200 models. This gave them chrome plating(the 5 in the 15) and the two component grips. If you are okay with cutters then look no further than Menard's. They have both the 26 11 200 and 26 12 200 versions. The main difference is the '12' version has the nicer two component grips. Oddly, if you look at the electrical section of Menard's they have the two component version for a couple of dollars less than the dip grip models.

For some reason the 26 series costs about ten to twelve dollars less than the 38 series no matter where you buy them. I find it strange because I would have guessed it to be more costly to make the cutter models. Sorry for the novel about Knipex but I recently bought a handfull of their pliers and spent some time sorting out models. If you need smaller sizes Knipex would be my first choice.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Quit using your teeth and get a pair of, What's that, needle nose pliers.

Tim

·
Registered
360 Posts
The thing I absolutely need on needle nose pliers is a return spring. My favorite is the Knipex 35 62 145

They're on the smaller side, but excellent for everything you'd think to use needlenose for. May not be as long or beefy as other kinds, but it seems like the value of those is deep reach rather than precision, when most of the time you're picking them up for precision.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,469 Posts
The Klein needlenose are better hammer than the other brand needlenose, but as needlenose they are all fine.

Needlenose are good to have at work but really essential for fishing.

I like the multi-purpose linemans with the jaws for gripping nuts / bolts but I don't like the idea on needlenose, makes them too long and awkward to use on bolts.

If you are going to get a set of needlenose you might as well get a really tricked out set...

Klein J2078CR All Purpose Pliers with Crimper

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,490 Posts
Removing receptacle tabs are a PITA. Sometimes it helps to remove the termination screws. Leviton are the worst. I just mangle them until I get a big enough gap.
Just need a bit of finesse ... Needle nose or *****, just hold the tab and wiggle it side to side ... Like you love it.

Tab comes off, with lots of 'arc room' to spare :wink:

:vs_cocktail:

Reactions: 99cents

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Just need a bit of finesse ... Needle nose or *****, just hold the tab and wiggle it side to side ... Like you love it.

Tab comes off, with lots of 'arc room' to spare :wink:

:vs_cocktail:
I was starting to think I was doing it wrong using my *****

Texting and Driving

·
Registered
56 Posts
Klein and Knipex are OK ... Think Chevy , ... You want the BEST , ...? = Snap-On Tools ... I used to Drive a Service/Sales Truck for them as a fill=in "Company-Man" I had a new tool every week I had to "Demo" ... I got to where I had to entertain the troops ,so to speak , ...I developed quite the Comedy/Factual Demo of every new tool and loved the ACTING part of it( I got Really good at this ! ) . (think the old Ronco Gizmo ads in the 70's and 80's , It Dices it Slices...LOL) ... so I would load up the truck with big Burly Grease Monkeys and pick the biggest Fattest Dude I could to pull this off ... I would tell them all I was starting my presentation on the new model # xxxx and challenge the Big Guy to compete with me ( irresistible in front of his peers ) ... I would say , if I can pull a penny from a pair of vice-grips , with these needle-nose pliers , would you be interested ...? ...crowd gathers , penny in place , Big Fat Guy vs Old Dude Snap-On Fill-in Driver ... drumroll ... I beat them every time ... best cross-hatch cut tips in the business plus 5 or so other unique features ... I sold a lot of Needle-Nose Pliers ... Life-Time Warranty ... if anyone has an interest , I can post pics or a Demo Video if that is allowed ... LOL ... normally i would just say Klein for Electrical , but mine were stolen at a new construction site and i got a pair of Craftsman Large and small at my local ACE Hardware as replacements for the same price AND I didn't have to go to Friggin' Home Depot ...worth it ... I "loathe" my local HD ... they suck !!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts