Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the radio and they were talking about liquid batteries, ya I thought nothing new. Except this type was not on my radar. These are grid batteries or for very large consumers, the size would be way bigger than a bread box.

Then I tripped up a solid state battery there is vid in this link.

I have said for years we need a better battery. These articles are heading in that direction.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,201 Posts
Check out Raccoon Mountain. Similar one in Luddington, Michigan. Plenty of grid “batteries” already exist. In another direction there is “Pine Needle” near Greensboro. Natural gas storage.

Effectively most gas plants are “batteries” as such. Coal and nuclear plants have long start up times. Gas plants can spin up in minutes so most are peaking instead of base load stations.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arizona has the largest nuke out west of Phoenix about 55 miles. It is a base load plant and delivers power to Ca, AZ, and TX. Once a upon a day ASU used to get its off peak electricity at 0.05 per kw. How ever the demand if broken for the month was a million per MW per day to the end of the month. They broke it for Monday Night football because the operator did not believe me when I called him and told him I was turning the field lights on and it would send 5MW towards him.
Never had another on peak even again with out serious thought.

I worked on a pumped plant like Racoon but never was convinced the cost was worth the expense.
It was near San Diego so anything in CA is going to make sense to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts