Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I think most people if they really want to are capable of doing 90% of their own residential electrical work with no previous experience. Results will vary but it's not rocket science. the internet can teach you how to do just about anything these days"

I just read this on the garage journal forum. Nothing new DIYers always hating on the pros but what do you think about this?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
"I think most people if they really want to are capable of doing 90% of their own residential electrical work with no previous experience. Results will vary but it's not rocket science. the internet can teach you how to do just about anything these days"

I just read this on the garage journal forum. Nothing new DIYers always hating on the pros but what do you think about this?
Sounds normal but can it pass inspection? Another good one it the HO etc. saying "I could have done it myself but I just don't have the time!"

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I remove my own ingrown toenails, but that doesn't decrease the value of a foot doctor.

If you ever hung around DIY forums, you'd see that a lot of people who know nothing about electricity can do their own electrical work if they are willing to do some reading and ask some questions. I was actually surprised at how many DIYers did pretty good work.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remove my own ingrown toenails, but that doesn't decrease the value of a foot doctor.

If you ever hung around DIY forums, you'd see that a lot of people who know nothing about electricity can do their own electrical work if they are willing to do some reading and ask some questions. I was actually surprised at how many DIYers did pretty good work.
Anyone can learn the basics of anything by reading on the internet.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I'm a big DIY'er.. I learn to do most everything myself.

I don't see most of residential electrical being any different. It can be learned, we all learned it. Simple stuff, wiring switches, replacing fixtures, replacing receptacles.. that stuff is no brainer stuff.

The thing about electricians is we think we way more smart or superior than we really are. We're just glorified labourers.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I can physically do most anything . But at some point its more time and aggravation spared hiring a pro.
One weird conclusion I've come to.
That people who sit at a desk all day, place a higher value on whatever they do than most trades.
Because they are weekend warriors and its fun! When its a hobby.
They also feel some how entitled to all the perks of a career I.e. vacation, sick days, holidays, etc....yet feel if you work with your hands you dis not earn that stuff...
Mind you that's not all desk jockies just a strong majority .

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The garage journal while a nice place to read, but can be a painful read for many professionals!
From what I've read most don't understand the complete safe electrical applications that they dive into,
and feel totally rightous in the end if they hit a 90% worthy install.

I just read this on the garage journal forum. Nothing new DIYers always hating on the pros
but what do you think about this?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I do almost all the work on my house with the exception of roofing, I'll let someone else have the fun of packing shingles up a ladder all day

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm highly skilled at most things myself but I don't bash the pros because I can do the basics or more. I'm naturally very mechanically inclined and I have worked in other trades before getting into the electrical trade.

I can do the basics in roofing but when you have a ton of hips and valleys in a roof that's where the pros come in.

I can do basic plumbing like sweat pipes,change fixtures,water heaters but when it comes to laying out and running all new plumbing that's where a pro comes in.

Same with many other things.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
Yes, most people will do their own small resi projects.

Add in the 5000+ you tube videos and anyone with a computer and a little aptitude can do it.

Auto mechanics is going the same way- except for the computer stuff. Want to change the timing belt on your 2009 ford, but dont want to pay 900 bucks?

You-tube will have 50 videos, each showing you step by step instructions.

When people make 8 bucks an hour at their jobs, they surely are going to find ways to do it themselves. And that is simply because they can afford no other option.

Damn the Unions, they are holding back the DIY nation by being able to afford others to do the work.:censored:

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I remember standing in a repair shop talking with the builder who was working on my f350 trans. This was a 4 bay, maybe 5 bay shop with a row of plugs along the front wall. They kept tripping the breaker when turning on a solvent tank parts cleaner. The owner came out and grumbled to the mechanics; "don't ever hire an electrician..if you want it done right, do it yourself." Plugged in and in use were 2 squirrel cage blowers on opposite ends of the room with ancient looking electric motors, 2 500 watt halogen floor lights and a hot flusher unit cleaning out a transmission cooler system. Apparently that one extra solvent tank pump was just too much. Hard to say what else was on the circuit such as lighting etc. But everyone in the room all agreed the electrician was certainly at fault. :eek:

I bit my lip and chuckle in amusement.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
I remember standing in a repair shop talking with the builder who was working on my f350 trans. This was a 4 bay, maybe 5 bay shop with a row of plugs along the front wall. They kept tripping the breaker when turning on a solvent tank parts cleaner. The owner came out and grumbled to the mechanics; "don't ever hire an electrician..if you want it done right, do it yourself." Plugged in and in use were 2 squirrel cage blowers on opposite ends of the room with ancient looking electric motors, 2 500 watt halogen floor lights and a hot flusher unit cleaning out a transmission cooler system. Apparently that one extra solvent tank pump was just too much. Hard to say what else was on the circuit such as lighting etc. But everyone in the room all agreed the electrician was certainly at fault. :eek:

I bit my lip and chuckle in amusement.
I got a nickel that says the electrician was never told what the total load would be. "Hey, all I want is a row of plug-ins along this wall so we can use a drill or sumpin'".

DIY solution: replace the 15 or 20 amp breaker with a 30.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Damn the Unions, they are holding back the DIY nation by being able to afford others to do the work.:censored:
That is comical.

As always the union member assumes if they demand money that it just comes out of thin air. It won't raise the the costs of all goods putting the people at the bottom in the same boat.:laughing:

You don't think the companies will reduce their profits do you? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I would advise any aspiring EC , especially one who is into resi and/or service work, to spend some time in a DIY'er forum

I did, and it helped that end of my biz

You see, DIY'ers are a way of life advocated by all the big box stores and home improvement shows etc.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they're not going away

~CS~

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I got a nickel that says the electrician was never told what the total load would be. "Hey, all I want is a row of plug-ins along this wall so we can use a drill or sumpin'".

DIY solution: replace the 15 or 20 amp breaker with a 30.

That's a safe bet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts