Electrician Talk banner

The future of quoting jobs

5763 Views 63 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  BBQ
Ive read a little about these flat rate quote programs and such.... have any of you, or do any of you use ipads and such technology in customers homes/businesses to quote jobs and email them the quotes rather than a written up proprosal/estimate/change order/receipts. It sounds very proffesional to me... the company I used to work for just wrote up proprosals?receipts/estimates ect.

Im a new contractor and using new technology like this may give me an advantage over some of the 'old dogs' in town. Any advice about this or paticular programs I should check out that have worked for you?

and/or any other technology based systems/ideas that work for your business

thanks
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Banned
449 Posts
Ive read a little about these flat rate quote programs and such.... have any of you, or do any of you use ipads and such technology in customers homes/businesses to quote jobs and email them the quotes rather than a written up proprosal/estimate/change order/receipts. It sounds very proffesional to me... the company I used to work for just wrote up proprosals?receipts/estimates ect.

Im a new contractor and using new technology like this may give me an advantage over some of the 'old dogs' in town. Any advice about this or paticular programs I should check out that have worked for you?

thanks
How would it give you an advantage?

· RIP 1959-2015
39,532 Posts

thanks
Take a look at this..:thumbup:
http://www.electricalflatrate.com/

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it may give me an advantage from a marketing prospective... ie. wow this guy is proffesional with how he comes up with quotes. I know the work is what counts but ive got that taken care of. As for an image... I feel using an ipad to quote a job looks sharp. no?

· Banned
449 Posts
it may give me an advantage from a marketing prospective... ie. wow this guy is proffesional with how he comes up with quotes. I know the work is what counts but ive got that taken care of. As for an image... I feel using an ipad to quote a job looks sharp. no?
An ipad doesn't make you anymore professional then a guy with a pen and paper. All my proposals,agreements,receipts are all done on paper.

So your saying people should hire you because you have some fancy computer equipment?:laughing:

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
absolutly not... i know lots of people who have been very succesful with pen and paper.. i mean really.. its the original way of doing things... my question was... does it come across as a better "image" for the company?

anyone can order food from a menu.. but when i eat at a retaurant that has a menu on an ipad and i choose the food and it comes... i feel this place has somthing on the next... its up to date with the times...

its all marketing.. which is really what im getting at... is it a useful marketing ploy?

you do realise people chose companies with green logos over red becasue subconciuosly green makes them feel good while red hits a tone of anger... without them even realising thats why they chose the green logo's company...

this is my question in with respect to an ipad... is this a positive marketing ploy.. anyone of us can provide electrical... now lets talk about who and why certain comapnies get picked over others... any comments?

· Registered
3,860 Posts
What color logo does the number one soft drink company in the galaxy use?

A restaurant usings ipads? Carl's Jr installed a bunch of self order kiosks at their restaurants and now they're gone. People weren't using them.

All my proposals are digital, but they are created at the desk. I may give a ballpark on site, but I always say give me a little time and I'll email a proposal.

· Registered
5,678 Posts
mattdolan16 said:
It's not gonna give you an advantage, the advantage is what you say, how you sound/appear and what your low price is.

· Registered
15,886 Posts

How do you know people will think that way. In fact, many don't. Many like to keep it simple. How do you know people won't say, "Gee, look at all these expensive gadgets I'm paying for,no wonder his quote is high."

· RIP 1959-2015
39,532 Posts
How do you know people will think that way. In fact, many don't. Many like to keep it simple. How do you know people won't say, "Gee, look at all these expensive gadgets I'm paying for,no wonder his quote is high."
Well showing up in a Cadillac Escallade will tip them off...:laughing:

· Banned
7,306 Posts
My customers like a paper that they can look at and keep. What are you going to do stop your sales pitch so you can go to your truck and "print" an estimate? We have a custom quote sheet with our logo that the customer can look at and with a signature at the bottom it becomes a contract.

· Registered
730 Posts
Many software packages on the market have the ability to print right in front of the customers.
Open up your metal binder which can have a printer the size of ruler inside of it, take it out and place a piece of paper from that same binder and start printing. This is for the customer who want paper copies. My customers say all the time, Wow! you really have it togther!

Everything matters on the sales call.
The way you hold yourself.
The way you listen.
They way you communicate.
The way you look and the way you are dressed. The list goes on and on.

For the guys that are not using tablets in the field or never used them in the field, how can you say honestly if it does work or not? Compared only to using paper.

· Registered
33 Posts
Why stop at quotes? Iv masted RCBO / RCD testing every three months by entering the trip times into my iPhone emailing them right to the client all pretty and neat... No only does this save typing at the end of the day or handing over a scrappy looking bit of paper, if I get a text message they will never know :p

· Banned
7,306 Posts
Its not a matter of works or not for most it is a matter of cost.Most small shops don't need a program to tell them how to price jobs or an ipad and printer in the field so justify spending 3 grand just to have this against a few hundred for a clipboard and custom forms most are not going to spend the cash. a milti truck service shop would be more likely to have this setup as the techs would be pricing more of the work.

· Registered
730 Posts
Its not a matter of works or not for most.
The OP is directly asking if it will work or not work.

it is a matter of cost.Most small shops don't need a program to tell them how to price jobs.
This is not true. That is why there are companies out ther like
Mine, Aptora, NSPG, Maio, Shafer's, Service Round table, Success Groups International and I can keep going and going. These companies are not just around for the new guy coming up that needs help but for older existing companies that have struggled and need the tools to bring their business to the next level.

Shops that want to estimate commercial jobs will spend $3000 and more on EBM, Mccormick, Sage, Conest, Accubid and on and on.

or an ipad and printer in the field so justify spending 3 grand just to have this against a few hundred for a clipboard and custom forms most are not going to spend the cash..
I guess it comes down to with anything else in life. It's whatever you want for your business. There are plenty happy with paper and there are plenty happy with running paperless or a combination of both.

a milti truck service shop would be more likely to have this setup as the techs would be pricing more of the work.
This is somewhat true but there are plenty of one manshops that are going paperless.
Saves money on paper.
It saves time on double entry.
Clean proffessioanl estimates and invoices with out spelling mistakes and price discrepencies.
Like any other expesnse, it's a write off and its figured into your billing.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.