Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the affiliated link from ct and decided to post the same question to get more feedback. Before I begin I'm going to be very honest so you guys can get a better feel instead of fabricated bs.

I'm 19, I work in a business environment but it's also very hands on. I can't stand being in a building for 8 hours even though I'm constantly moving in this department store all day. I enjoy taking out the trash the most because the bin is located outside.

So with that said I'm considering doing a trade, just hesitant on which to get into. They all differ from one another and looking into electrical and carpentry, they interest me the most.

So whats the future look like for this trade? And would you recommend it to a younger male that's looking to choose a career?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts

So with that said I'm considering doing a trade, just hesitant on which to get into. ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

in the days of the Samurai, when facing a fork in the road and not having an obvious destination, the warrior would toss a twig in the air, and take whichever fork it point nearest. What the Samurai would not do, is hesitate. There may be a lesson there. or not.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Samson Rouge said:
I noticed the affiliated link from ct and decided to post the same question to get more feedback. Before I begin I'm going to be very honest so you guys can get a better feel instead of fabricated bs. I'm 19, I work in a business environment but it's also very hands on. I can't stand being in a building for 8 hours even though I'm constantly moving in this department store all day. I enjoy taking out the trash the most because the bin is located outside. So with that said I'm considering doing a trade, just hesitant on which to get into. They all differ from one another and looking into electrical and carpentry, they interest me the most. So whats the future look like for this trade? And would you recommend it to a younger male that's looking to choose a career?
There are worse jobs, especially retail. Did that for 7 months and it sucked. I would take electrical work over swinging hammers every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Homer to Jebus
790 Posts
Electrical. Carpentry out west seems to be getting dominated by illegal immigrants. At least they haven't tried to take over electrical. Yet... :eek:

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,078 Posts
I would, and in fact, did recommend the electrical trades to any young man who isn't afraid to actually work with his hands.

My oldest son (29) and I talked about this a few years ago. He was employed at a factory and didn't like it much. He enjoys getting stuff done as well as having to actually think once in a while. He saw the factory job as a dead-end. Which it was.

I encouraged him to get into the apprenticeship program, which he did. He was hired by the company I work for, and completed his apprenticeship about 5 years ago.

He absolutely loves electrical. He works for a different company these days (long story), and is presently the foreman on a milk processing plant being built here.

I also recommended electrical to my daughters best friends boyfriend. He became a journeyman last year, and in fact, works on the same job as my son. He also loves his job.

The key here is basic work ethics, motivation, and tolerance (even enjoyment) of hard physical work. It's certainly not for everyone, but if a younger person has the desire to learn and not become discouraged when the going gets rough, the trade could easily be the best option.

There are a lot more guys my age (56) bailing out of the trades than there are younger guys getting in. The need for people who can work with their hands will only increase as time goes on. This usually translates to higher pay and also more respect. Plus, your first day on the job is your money; no student loans to pay off.

I would highly recommend electrical to anyone who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply boss man, I appreciate it. I've been asking around on other forums as well and got trolls trying to scare me away. Once I plan everything out ill feel a little better about myself.

·
Freelance Estimator
16 Posts
My take on the Trade...

I didn't intend on being an Electrician when I was 19.

I landed in the trade when I was 21 because of an ex-brother-in-law.

After 30 years, I wouldn't change a thing. The trade has been good to me. There's always something new going on, and it's intellectually elegant.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would recommend it in a heartbeat. I had no direction in life when I took a job wiring houses.
College wasn't my cup of tea, except to keep from being drafted. I stuck with the trade. I got into commercial early on. IMO commercial has more growth opportunities. Also it more immune to the illegal alien competition.
Good commercial journeymen and formen make great money. Also there is great opportunity to move into the office and be become estimator or project management. Some guys go from contracting to distributor sales or factory rep. All of these are great paying careers.
Being an electrician is hard work, so it's a younger man's game to some extent.
I think commercial has the opportunities to allow you to get out of the field when that time comes.

·
Premium Member
18,548 Posts
I noticed the affiliated link from ct and decided to post the same question to get more feedback. Before I begin I'm going to be very honest so you guys can get a better feel instead of fabricated bs.

I'm 19, I work in a business environment but it's also very hands on. I can't stand being in a building for 8 hours even though I'm constantly moving in this department store all day. I enjoy taking out the trash the most because the bin is located outside.

So with that said I'm considering doing a trade, just hesitant on which to get into. They all differ from one another and looking into electrical and carpentry, they interest me the most.

So whats the future look like for this trade? And would you recommend it to a younger male that's looking to choose a career?
First, you will need proper training or you will get stuck in just one of the many facets of our trade.
Second, this isnt a job that can be taught in five years or so. Everyone of us is happy to learn something new everyday. Those that succeed push themselves to advance themselves as far as they can. For some, it is opening a business and contracting, others, being one of the top go to people in a company. These guys look for the impossible jobs and bring them in. This is what drives up.
I don't know of another trade where you can pick up a few simple tools and make a nice living.
We have everything from heavy underground construction, to very high tech switching and controls and of course everything in between.
You can find a place here.
In other words, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would recommend it ,but it isn't for everyone. I started when I was 16 got out of it , joined the service . Then found it again & don't regret it the trade I love not the "bullcrap".

·
Premium Member
18,548 Posts
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply boss man, I appreciate it. I've been asking around on other forums as well and got trolls trying to scare me away. Once I plan everything out ill feel a little better about myself.
Kid, don't get used to calling people "Boss Man" it makes it sound like you were in prison.
If you were, its cool but, now that you have moved on, move on. ;)

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
As far as trades, I think it is the best.

I always hated working in the same location day after day after day after day...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts