Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At first it seemed like the break i needed not long after the housing crash. 1/3 million sq feet of renovation work, crew, manlifts, desk w/prints, the works. :thumbsup:

Even the govenor came down to stump on it, and take credit for the stim funds that came to town with his cronies

The wierdness started shortly after though. All the unlicensed workers, H1B pigeon english visa holders complaining they couldn't cash checks here. :(

But the state authorities walking by all the substandard work without so much as blinking was just something i hadn't seen before.

I had come up in the trade with what was at the time my AHJ, we knew each other well. When the project owners :censored:insinuated they had a :censored:deal with him i threw it back in their faces, the dude was so straight his tounge would snap if he lied.

But everything i saw was indicative of the rules being changed, right on up to reading the facility open to the public in the local rag, while i was still there sewing it all up, no final needed...:eek:

The visiting local dignitaries , including fire chiefs , police chiefs, my AHJ, my AHJ's section manager all walked right on by me working there too.

At this point i felt like the good Lord's biggest fool. :(

Fast forward almost 2 years , my AHJ quits. Meanwhile the :censored:project owners start this rumour he was fired for not doing his job.

I called him to a private meeting asking wtf?
I'm told the higher ups in the state dictated the project should fly by whatever means, that he has email proof

It occurs to me this might be crucial for my prior AHJ, because the owners have been teetering on bankruptcy , and the investigative journalists are starting to circle in for the media kill.....

what would you say?

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
At first it seemed like the break i needed not long after the housing crash. 1/3 million sq feet of renovation work, crew, manlifts, desk w/prints, the works. :thumbsup:

Even the govenor came down to stump on it, and take credit for the stim funds that came to town with his cronies

The wierdness started shortly after though. All the unlicensed workers, H1B pigeon english visa holders complaining they couldn't cash checks here. :(

But the state authorities walking by all the substandard work without so much as blinking was just something i hadn't seen before.

I had come up in the trade with what was at the time my AHJ, we knew each other well. When the project owners :censored:insinuated they had a :censored:deal with him i threw it back in their faces, the dude was so straight his tounge would snap if he lied.

But everything i saw was indicative of the rules being changed, right on up to reading the facility open to the public in the local rag, while i was still there sewing it all up, no final needed...:eek:

The visiting local dignitaries , including fire chiefs , police chiefs, my AHJ, my AHJ's section manager all walked right on by me working there too.

At this point i felt like the good Lord's biggest fool. :(

Fast forward almost 2 years , my AHJ quits. Meanwhile the :censored:project owners start this rumour he was fired for not doing his job.

I called him to a private meeting asking wtf?
I'm told the higher ups in the state dictated the project should fly by whatever means, that he has email proof

It occurs to me this might be crucial for my prior AHJ, because the owners have been teetering on bankruptcy , and the investigative journalists are starting to circle in for the media kill.....

what would you say?

~CS~
I don't doubt it for a second. I'd steer clear and let the chips fall where they fall though.

Saw similar happen here in a nearby city. The ahj's/inspector's hands are pretty much tied when the mayor lets it be known that the opening will happen on a given date (unless they don't like their job).

(hope you made some change on the deal, regardless)

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
what would you say?
:sleep1::sleep1::sleep1:

Daddy, you keep telling the same bedtime story...

We know you've a deep seated need to go on at length about any and every topic under the sun, but someone has got to tell you enough, already.

Bueller... Bueller?

At least you didn't butcher the English language as much as usual...I guess.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't doubt it for a second. I'd steer clear and let the chips fall where they fall though.

Saw similar happen here in a nearby city. The ahj's/inspector's hands are pretty much tied when the mayor lets it be known that the opening will happen on a given date (unless they don't like their job).

(hope you made some change on the deal, regardless)
It's just not the norm here WildOne, we're a very small state , everyone knows everyone locally, etc etc

And it gets better, due to my own naievity

At a certain point in the job there was a structural concern, pipe /wire weight hung off old roofs monitored for snow load

I had pointed this out to my AHJ, PM, Owners,to no avail. So i wrote a formal complaint (the state has a form) and passed it onto my AHJ

nothing happened for 5-6 months, so i walked into the regional office and handed it to his boss

nothing happened for almost a year, and i forwarded it to a high ranking state official in charge of electrical and fire oversight

It occurs to me now that, i had forwarded my complaint to the very entity who told my AHJ to 'let it all go' ....

~CS~

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
It's just not the norm here WildOne, we're a very small state , everyone knows everyone locally, etc etc

And it gets better, due to my own naievity

At a certain point in the job there was a structural concern, pipe /wire weight hung off old roofs monitored for snow load

I had pointed this out to my AHJ, PM, Owners,to no avail. So i wrote a formal complaint (the state has a form) and passed it onto my AHJ

nothing happened for 5-6 months, so i walked into the regional office and handed it to his boss

nothing happened for almost a year, and i forwarded it to a high ranking state official in charge of electrical and fire oversight

It occurs to me now that, i had forwarded my complaint to the very entity who told my AHJ to 'let it all go' ....

~CS~

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
chicken steve said:
At first it seemed like the break i needed not long after the housing crash. 1/3 million sq feet of renovation work, crew, manlifts, desk w/prints, the works. :thumbsup: Even the govenor came down to stump on it, and take credit for the stim funds that came to town with his cronies The wierdness started shortly after though. All the unlicensed workers, H1B pigeon english visa holders complaining they couldn't cash checks here. :( But the state authorities walking by all the substandard work without so much as blinking was just something i hadn't seen before. I had come up in the trade with what was at the time my AHJ, we knew each other well. When the project owners :censored:insinuated they had a :censored:deal with him i threw it back in their faces, the dude was so straight his tounge would snap if he lied. But everything i saw was indicative of the rules being changed, right on up to reading the facility open to the public in the local rag, while i was still there sewing it all up, no final needed...:eek: The visiting local dignitaries , including fire chiefs , police chiefs, my AHJ, my AHJ's section manager all walked right on by me working there too. At this point i felt like the good Lord's biggest fool. :( Fast forward almost 2 years , my AHJ quits. Meanwhile the :censored:project owners start this rumour he was fired for not doing his job. I called him to a private meeting asking wtf? I'm told the higher ups in the state dictated the project should fly by whatever means, that he has email proof It occurs to me this might be crucial for my prior AHJ, because the owners have been teetering on bankruptcy , and the investigative journalists are starting to circle in for the media kill..... what would you say? ~CS~
My head hurts👳

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts

We know you've a deep seated need to go on at length about any and every topic under the sun, but someone has got to tell you enough, already.

Bueller... Bueller?

and that coming from some one in cal.:whistling2:

·
Estwing magic
27,556 Posts

Bueller... Bueller?

I dunno. Sacrificing public safety for the sake of a photo op and a ribbon cutting ceremony doesn't seem right to me. The man has a social conscience. Why is that bad?

·
415 Posts
If I understand this correctly your buddy the authority having jurisdiction is now in hot water for having passed substandard work in the past is that correct?
And now you say you have documentation that will help him out,so why not?
Good luck!

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I feel the need to defend the guy , he's being used as a political kicking post for biased 'public servants of significant stature'

~CS~
I think it would be a "stand up" thing to do to help him if you can.

Unfortunately, if this is as politically charged as you say, he will still end up being the one one holding the chitty end of the stick. No matter what you send his way in the form of assistance.

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.