·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,113 Posts
Did you now that there was small section of New York city where Edisons system was still in place? I just read last week that it has now been changed over to AC. It was only a few blocks or miles, I can't remember.
Yes, Nicola Tesla is the man. Never mentioned in high school. Just Edison.
Edison was the pioneer. Tesla made it practical.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You know, speaking of gurus who never get the time of day....Years ago I picked up a turn of the century ammeter with the Weston label on it. Did a little bit of digging and it turns out that Edwin Weston was the man who patented the first accurate ammeter. Something like 300 other patents to his name. Pretty interesting stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody here ever build a Tesla Coil?
built the Tesla Coil plasma gun using the casing of an inexpensive cordless hand drill. He uses the trigger of the hand drill as the plasma gun's trigger. The device is powered by a 12V battery. The high frequency, high voltage from the gun causes the argon gas in light bulbs to become ionized, which creates streamers that are attracted to the fingers holding the bulb.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know about you, but I love reading about Tesla. This man was inconceivably smart, and if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have the fun jobs as electricians we have now.
Madison Wisconsin has a street named after him. I read an interesting story about him. It was said that Edison offered Tesla $10,000 to come up with a way to start a three phase motor. Tesla went to work and came up with a solution. Edison reneged so Tesla went to George Westinghouse with his idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.