1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wouldn't buy that, that's insane. Buy what you need when you need it and you don't need Klein everything by any means, nor the Fluke stuff they were listing unless you really are incredibly serious about a top of the line meter.

Shop around at the depot or something, that's how I got through trade school.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I'd rather get a larger tool bag for that price then that's stupid little pouch for 60 dollars and then another 20 for the belt. That's insane, I know Klein is good but damn it sounds like the starbucks of tools.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a nice husky tool tote in school and that did me just fine, cost $20 at home depot. I used and still use my Milwaukee screwdrivers, $30 for a whole set, 8pc. I had cheaper channel lock diagonals, channel lock lines men's, ideal strippers, a cheap knife, hammer, cheap channel locks, cheap needle nose, cheap crimpers, cheap cheap cheap! Haha, but really I only spent like $150 ish to 200 on what I had for school.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,497 Posts
sethmeisterflash said:
I mean, I'd rather get a larger tool bag for that price then that's stupid little pouch for 60 dollars and then another 20 for the belt. That's insane, I know Klein is good but damn it sounds like the starbucks of tools.
You can buy cheap hand tools many times over and you'll never get ahead.
But you can buy a cheap meter only once and then your dead.
That fluke meter may "look" expensive but its a Cat 3 @ 1000v and a Cat 4 @ 600v.
How much is your life worth?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can buy cheap hand tools many times over and you'll never get ahead.
But you can buy a cheap meter only once and then your dead.
That fluke meter may "look" expensive but its a Cat 3 @ 1000v and a Cat 4 @ 600v.
How much is your life worth?
For school I never encountered anything that was going to affect my life if my meter was not a fluke.. if you want tools for the trade right now then by all means go for it, but you can get by with a cheaper ideal meter like I had for around $50.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,497 Posts
Calebxx12 said:
For school I never encountered anything that was going to affect my life if my meter was not a fluke.. if you want tools for the trade right now then by all means go for it, but you can get by with a cheaper ideal meter like I had for around $50.
The brand of meter is not as important as the Category Rating, that is what may save you.
Ideal does make good meters also, heck Fluke is not the best, but it is reliable even if abused over time. Buy what's needed and what you can afford.
But don't put a price tag on you life.

Did they teach what the Category ratings mean or what can happen?

·
Coffee drinking member
13,497 Posts
image-3508594487.jpg

Not the best picture, but 70e has a better explanation of transients and the category ratings required for work being preformed.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
That tool pouch is way too big in my opinion , a smaller one that you can wear with just the tools you'll need will do,keep the rest of your tools in a tool bag and use them as needed,as for the tools buy the best the first time,don't waste your money on cheap crap,you'll end up paying a lot more for tools in the long run.

As for the school it seems to me the price is way too much,,shop around you should be able to find something cheaper in your area.

Check out these threads.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/tool-bag-photos-3679/

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/tool-belt-55697/

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/new-toys-22554/

·
Registered
67 Posts
The brand of meter is not as important as the Category Rating, that is what may save you.
Ideal does make good meters also, heck Fluke is not the best, but it is reliable even if abused over time. Buy what's needed and what you can afford.
But don't put a price tag on you life.

Did they teach what the Category ratings mean or what can happen?
They did actually, I was just stating that if he just wanted it for school I doubt they encounter anything over 240v like what mine was. I had a CAT 2 meter i believe and was told mine was good enough for the tasks we had.

I just figured we were trying to save the poor guy money for school! :)

·
Coffee drinking member
13,497 Posts
Calebxx12 said:
They did actually, I was just stating that if he just wanted it for school I doubt they encounter anything over 240v like what mine was. I had a CAT 2 meter i believe and was told mine was good enough for the tasks we had. I just figured we were trying to save the poor guy money for school! :)
I agree about saving $$, but most people believe that the cheapie Harbor F store has a "good enough" meter. The voltage has less to do with the Cat rating of the meter. Many believe that its good to 1000v or 600v but that's not what the rating means.
I hope he gets his money's worth out of that school. His fees are way up there. At least they better pay for the coffee & donuts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree about saving $$, but most people believe that the cheapie Harbor F store has a "good enough" meter. The voltage has less to do with the Cat rating of the meter. Many believe that its good to 1000v or 600v but that's not what the rating means.
I hope he gets his money's worth out of that school. His fees are way up there. At least they better pay for the coffee & donuts.
Absolutely. I paid around the same as that's quoting, but my school could have been different, as I did a electrical engineering technologies degree. What is the curriculum look like on yours?

·
Coffee drinking member
13,497 Posts
Calebxx12 said:
What is the curriculum look like on yours?
Mine was easy,, if it didn't move paint it haze gray.
If it did move salute it.
Other then that it's all trial & error, money is no option here. LoL

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I started my apprenticeship money was tight for us. I bought my tool list at HD and only splurged on a few items (tester included). Over the course of my first year I bought a new tool every week. Helped with a tight budget and now I had backups. I also had a lot of tools given to me. My first journeyman saw my Husky linemans and told me all they were good for was throwing at dogs. Lol. He gave me his Klein's and threw mine away. I wish I had kept them as a backup, but what are you gonna do? You will go through thousands of tools in your career. You may not even like the Klein's if you get them. Buy cheap with a plan in place to replace them. You don't need top of the line as a gofer anyways.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That tool pouch is way too big in my opinion , a smaller one that you can wear with just the tools you'll need will do,keep the rest of your tools in a tool bag and use them as needed,as for the tools buy the best the first time,don't waste your money on cheap crap,you'll end up paying a lot more for tools in the long run.

As for the school it seems to me the price is way too much,,shop around you should be able to find something cheaper in your area.

Check out these threads.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/tool-bag-photos-3679/

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/tool-belt-55697/

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/new-toys-22554/

When you said "as for school", did you mean that the tools I'll need for school will be different than the ones listed or that the ones they have listed are priced too high? Everything seemed around the same price on Amazon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This is the list of technical concentration classes:

AREA V--CAREER/TECH CONCENTRA 47 0.000 COURSE GR TERM/COL
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ELT221 ELECTRONICS FOR ELECTRI 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT114 RESIDENTIAL WIRING METH 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT118 COM'L/INDUSTRIAL WIRING 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT122 ADVANCED AC/DC MACHINES 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT209 MOTOR CONTROLS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT231 PROGRAM'BLE CONTROLS I 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT132 COM'L/INDUSTR'L WIRE II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT212 MOTOR CONTROL II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT115 RESIDENT'L WIRE METH II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT108 DC FUNDAMENTALS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT109 AC FUNDAMENTALS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT110 WIRING METHODS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT117 AC/DC MACHINES 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT224 SECURITY AND ALARM SYST 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT225 SMART HOUSE WIRING 3 __.___ _______ __ ______

Does this look like a fairly comprehensive curriculum?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
When you said "as for school", did you mean that the tools I'll need for school will be different than the ones listed or that the ones they have listed are priced too high? Everything seemed around the same price on Amazon.
Nope,I'm talking about the school it's self $14,000 a year?

·
Registered
32 Posts
9" linesman pliers
10 in 1
tape measure
level
hacksaw
voltage tester
pocket knife/utility knife
some kind of drill. anything will do starting off.

if you show up at any job with those you'll be kept busy.

you'll just need basic stuff starting off. don't invest too much in the beginning, because you never know. you might say "this isn't for me", and give it up. and some tools aren't really necessary if you go into residential, or commercial. you're not going to need a bender if your first job is wiring houses.

Expensive meters, drills, a 24 inch bag full of tools, aren't really necessary when you're starting off. as a beginner, chances are if an expensive meter is required for safety purposes or for whatever, most likely you won't be using it.

i'm sure most people will agree though - don't skimp on your linesman pliers. get a good set of klein/knipex/channellock. your life will be a lot easier.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,497 Posts
sethmeisterflash said:
This is the list of technical concentration classes:
AREA V--CAREER/TECH CONCENTRA
47 0.000 COURSE GR TERM/COL ----------------------------------------------------------------------
ELT221 ELECTRONICS FOR ELECTRI 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT114 RESIDENTIAL WIRING METH 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT118 COM'L/INDUSTRIAL WIRING 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT122 ADVANCED AC/DC MACHINES 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT209 MOTOR CONTROLS 3 __.___ _______ ______
ELT231 PROGRAM'BLE CONTROLS I 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT132 COM'L/INDUSTR'L WIRE II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT212 MOTOR CONTROL II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT115 RESIDENT'L WIRE METH II 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT108 DC FUNDAMENTALS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT109 AC FUNDAMENTALS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT110 WIRING METHODS 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT117 AC/DC MACHINES 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT224 SECURITY AND ALARM SYST 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
ELT225 SMART HOUSE WIRING 3 __.___ _______ __ ______
Does this look like a fairly comprehensive curriculum?
image-3100702735.jpg Looks good to me

1 - 20 of 44 Posts