Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tried a number of tool bags out and can't seem to find the right one. I like to keep my sawzall in my bag along with everything else but I like a lot of pockets too too keep everything organized. I have a husky bag now with a divider in the middle but it's a bit cramped. Any ideas?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I read most of these tool bag threads because I have the same issues. Can't quite find the layout I really want. For me that means a Veto like design but with pockets more suited to straight up electrical, data, and electronics tools. I have a number of six inch shaft nut drivers, seven and eight inch screwdrivers and of course assorted pliers and other long/skinny tools of the trade. I tried all the Vetos in a store display and none of them fit long skinny tools correctly. At least not for me.

The tallest tools should of course be in the back row and while the Veto has this layout the pockets are huge. The tool loops/pockets in the back should fit the driver handles but not as tightly as say, those hard shell tech tool cases with the faux leather tool holders. Then the shaft pocket should be wide enough to handle up to around a half inch nut driver. Picture and upside down wine bottle but of course scaled to the size of the driver handle at the top end. It would sized to handle the grips of Klein, Wera, or Wiha drivers. And it would work with short driver in the same pockets if you wanted since the design would keep them from sliding too far down in the pocket. Then your next tallest tools in pockets in front of that row. Stuff like 9 inc linesman, crimp tool, high leverage diagonal. Then another row of shorter driver pockets in front of those for your four inch philips and cabinet tips and three inch nut drivers. Then another row of shorter pliers pockets for your Klein midgets or Tronex or Knipex electronics pliers. Sounds like a lot but it wold take up no more room than what is used in a Veto now. Just make it tall enough to clear the long handle stuff on the back row. The LC model will no do this currently. I have tried it. The XL is tall enough but the pockets are cavernous and I don't like jamming three or four tools in a pocket to keep them upright. Kind of OCD I know but I like my tools organised. I do a lot of maintenance tasks and you will use a wide variety of hand tools. I carry my most used stuff in a daily carry pouch and want the bag for essentially portable storage. So when you go from installing a condensate pump in the morning to working on a commercial kitchen range the same day you have the stuff you need in one carrier. Keep it identical on the other side so my insulated stuff could live there. I would be set up well with a rig like that. The search continues.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
Have you looked at Klein's ultimate tool bag? I have one and keep 98% of my handtools in there. Full size sawzall isn't going to happen but the small Milwaukee one will definitely fit with room to spare. No major issues with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
My tool bag is a bucket with a wooden lid attached with a chain. I look at all of the tools that these guys are carrying and I say there is no way that I would carry all of those tools with me at all times.
Why carry your data tools if you are going to hook up a 100 HP 480 volt motor? Buy a gang box put all of your tools in that gang box in your truck and when you get on the job pick out the tools you are going to need and leave the rest behind.
And one more thing . Lets see you take that $ 150.00 tool bag or tool carrier and sit on it. Trust me with 40 years experience a bucket is the way to go.

LC

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts
Lone Crapshooter said:
My tool bag is a bucket with a wooden lid attached with a chain. I look at all of the tools that these guys are carrying and I say there is no way that I would carry all of those tools with me at all times. Why carry your data tools if you are going to hook up a 100 HP 480 volt motor? Buy a gang box put all of your tools in that gang box in your truck and when you get on the job pick out the tools you are going to need and leave the rest behind. And one more thing . Lets see you take that $ 150.00 tool bag or tool carrier and sit on it. Trust me with 40 years experience a bucket is the way to go. LC
My Bucket is bolted to a collapsible hand cart. It has the bucket boss tool holder on it and a lid with a parts holder.
It is nice to wheel what you need in when you need to. I also use a pouch or a bag or what ever the job requires.
But I do enjoy drinking my coffee on my own personal seat & the bucket wins.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Lone Crapshooter said:
My tool bag is a bucket with a wooden lid attached with a chain. I look at all of the tools that these guys are carrying and I say there is no way that I would carry all of those tools with me at all times. Why carry your data tools if you are going to hook up a 100 HP 480 volt motor? Buy a gang box put all of your tools in that gang box in your truck and when you get on the job pick out the tools you are going to need and leave the rest behind. And one more thing . Lets see you take that $ 150.00 tool bag or tool carrier and sit on it. Trust me with 40 years experience a bucket is the way to go. LC
I agree. 90% of the time all I need is my basic tools. Screw drivers, kliens, *****, meter, and strippers. I don't need a 100 pound bag with a hammer, drill, hacksaw, nut drivers, socket set and a bunch of other stuff to do a service call.
If I did need all that my bucket would hold all of it plus my tool pouch. No need to invest in an expensive bag when sheet rockers will just give you an old mud bucket. Rinse it out and BAM you have a tool carrier.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I agree with using a 5 gallon bucket to tote your every day tools. A free (?) bucket and a cheap liner with pockets and a person is set. I have spent a lot of hours working on things while setting on my bucket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have tried a number of tool bags out and can't seem to find the right one. I like to keep my sawzall in my bag along with everything else but I like a lot of pockets too too keep everything organized. I have a husky bag now with a divider in the middle but it's a bit cramped. Any ideas?
need minimize and prioritize your tools that are absolutely necessary to do the job. Then add to or remove from that. Has anyone had any issues with the new fluke backpack?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,181 Posts
need minimize and prioritize your tools that are absolutely necessary to do the job. Then add to or remove from that. Has anyone had any issues with the new fluke backpack?
Fluke and the most other lightweight backpacks are not that durable and don't hold up in the log run.

Backpacks need to be constructed of extremely durable fabric.

I've had two Toolpaks for years and to date have one broken zipper pull tab.

I won't go to a Veto backpack as it's bulky and cumbersome.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,624 Posts
He could have bought a $300 finish carpenter's bag

Or, switch to a Hackzall type instead of the Sawzall type and it wold fit in a more normal sized bag.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.