Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
It seems clear to me the fuses themselves are what is hot. Those have the indicators in them so maybe they consume a bit of power while operating Or it is just the fact the fuse is running at 60% of its rated current.

That is only 79 C so I would not be that concerned, I would note it and check back on it. Or maybe just go ahead and change the hot fuse and see if the new one runs hot.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It seems clear to me the fuses themselves are what is hot. Those have the indicators in them so maybe they consume a bit of power while operating Or it is just the fact the fuse is running at 60% of its rated current.

That is only 79 C so I would not be that concerned, I would note it and check back on it. Or maybe just go ahead and change the hot fuse and see if the new one runs hot.
Agreed, also compare to similar loaded fuses.

Deep Cover, where is your PPE??

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
60 A...#4...173 degrees F...600V 100A fuses

Could those right loops be causing such a high temp?

Loops causing a problem no.

Do an FOP for millivolt drop and I would bet all is OK, if not make the necessary replacement or repair

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Why would that matter or are you just curious
Because i we have the same unit and we cosntantly needed to get it calibrated or else it was off by 30 degrees higher than normal temperature, we found that out once we purchase a new FLIR and we realized that our unit was way off.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
Because i we have the same unit and we cosntantly needed to get it calibrated or else it was off by 30 degrees higher than normal temperature, we found that out once we purchase a new FLIR and we realized that our unit was way off.
REALLY? Was there a recall or product notification for this camera? Or do you think you just have a lemon.

I have owned IR's cameras for a long time going back to the 80's and we get them cal'd every year, never had one off that we have been notified of.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
REALLY? Was there a recall or product notification for this camera? Or do you think you just have a lemon.

I have owned IR's cameras for a long time going back to the 80's and we get them cal'd every year, never had one off that we have been notified of.
Well we called our Fluke distributor and he was very happy to take it back and not only replace the entire unit but give us a higher end model for the headache we experienced.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Looks like very uniform heating, and is potentially within a lot of 90° temperature limits. The areas that might be a concern to me, like the lugs and clips, are actually some of the cooler spots.

A lot of equipment runs hot, that don't mean it's broke.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I see what you are saying, but you are mistaken just a little bit. The image is just a normal image around the edge, but there is a center square that shows the thermal image. So, there are two images in one.

The conductors were equally as warm as the fuses. We are going to wait until the second chiller kicks on this month (there are two chillers that automatically alternate after a scheduled number of hours) and check the temps again.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I see what you are saying, but you are mistaken just a little bit. The image is just a normal image around the edge, but there is a center square that shows the thermal image. So, there are two images in one.

The conductors were equally as warm as the fuses. We are going to wait until the second chiller kicks on this month (there are two chillers that automatically alternate after a scheduled number of hours) and check the temps again.
So you post an incomplete image and ask us to diagnose it?:blink:

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,697 Posts
I thought TI only works if you have a baseline from install to compare it to, unless of course there is a big issue that is very noticeable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts