Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Got a call the other day on a house I wired about a year and a half ago the other day. The can lights were turning off themselves. one at a time. This call has happened before(on other jobs). So, I knew exactly where to look. For some reason this particular contractor is OBSESSED with blow in insulation. He blows about 40-50" of insualtion in his attics. This gives even the best IC can light, NO Heat dispacement(room to breath) after a year or so, depending on humidity and things of that nature, the insulation settles and becomes very thick. Thus causing a very tight bed. So the solution!! Thin out the insulation. and double check your cans for the IC rating.:thumbup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
{bobelectric Check your lamp wattage. )

{480sparky The trim can also cause this, as well as the lamp style (A, R, etc.)

Yeah, I thought those were common sense firstt steps "given:" so to speak....;)
I was simply trying to tell that cans are not made to be completely "Air tight" there has to be a little space for heat to disperse..:thumbsup:

·
Wyome
757 Posts
Anybody out there replace those thermals on a regular basis? My suppliers tell me that for Halo and Juno I have to buy a whole new can. Seems like such a huge waste to me. Even on warranty replacements they send a whole new can.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even the Halo IC cans say "do not install in such a manner that will entrap heat".

Kinda vauge I'd say.

I like the ones that say IC rated, But it has a sticker on it that says "do not install insulation within 3" of this fixture" But then you read the instructions to it and it says to make this can IC rated, peel off sticker.:laughing: :rolleyes:

This is not a joke!!! Progress lighting or Prescolite DBX cans!!!! Check it out!!! You will chuckle inside....;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.