Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Recently finished a commercial service upgrade and unloaded a nearly new 500' roll of 3/0 copper thhn in my shop. Walked out to the shop this am and copper is gone. Must've been at least 2 of them to walk away with it. Filed a police report. The worst thing is my insurance deductable is $5,000 (of course now I'm kicking myself) so it's a total loss. Keep a watchful eye guys, there are criminals everywhere. I know it could've been worse but it's still a big hit for my little biz.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
:mad: Recently finished a commercial service upgrade and unloaded a nearly new 500' roll of 3/0 copper thhn in my shop. Walked out to the shop this am and copper is gone. Must've been at least 2 of them to walk away with it. Filed a police report. The worst thing is my insurance deductable is $5,000 (of course now I'm kicking myself) so it's a total loss. Keep a watchful eye guys, there are criminals everywhere. I know it could've been worse but it's still a big hit for my little biz.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I wonder if the guy who delivered the wire for you told some of his buddies.. since he knows the layout of your shop..

Just seems odd the reel got stolen so fast..
Now that they have made that job just a low wage dead end job that is more than likely.

Also if the guys who did it get caught they will get nothing more than a fine.:mad:

What they should get is a trip the JOY of Busting Rock School. :rolleyes:

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Where are you from? My former boss "another electrical contractor" got robbed last yr, thief broke in through a window and stole all of his larger cable. Not as expensive as your loss but it still hurts regardless. Keep an eye on the local junkies, ask around who is selling off large copper cable. They will usually remember someone who frequents them on a daily basis with large copper who is not in the trade.

I worked for a place once that had a bone yard of scrap and it was common place to sift through and grab items for personal needs. The electrical contractors who were working there dumped off the scraps and several of us grabbed them, stripped it and turned it in for the cash. The junkie i went to knew right where it came from and told me who else had brought it in.

·
Super Moderator
16,348 Posts
This happened after the job, not before the job. So that would be enough for me to dis- concern myself with the delivery angle.
If there was no break in, you have a thief or thieves working for you. You never know who it will be until they are caught or you somehow find out. Good luck and sorry to hear about the loss.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Crikey! Isn't that like $5 a foot at cost?

Was this partially your fault for not securing it or did they break into a building?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,753 Posts
The local scrap yards are taking license information when scrapping copper around here.
I hope they do in your area.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The local scrap yards are taking license information when scrapping copper around here.
I hope they do in your area.
Yeah, here too, in fact the scrap dealers also must now take fingerprints and a picture of the seller and the goods they are selling. Then they only get their money after a 3 day waiting period. It's led to some spectacular arrests already. It's incredible how dumb some of these idiots are. Some are even smiling in the pictures.

A few months back they found a big copper bell right next to a scrap yard that had been stolen from a church in Oakland. Apparently when the thieves found out they were going to be photoed and fingerprinted, they just dumped it off the back of the truck. Hasn't totally stopped the theft yet though, the thieves just have to haul it further to find a buyer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have been calling local scrap yards (they're not much help). Some won't even talk to anyone but the police. I'll call the police again tomorrow and see if they followed up on anything. I am partially to blame for not securing it better but you know how it is, get done with a long, tiring job sometimes things get missed. I should've chained it to the building I guess. They just broke the door (could've been better secured as well) and walked off with it. I don't have any signs on the building so I'm guessing it's someone I know. I think I'll be getting a camera system soon with a DVR and who knows, maybe a rotweiler to watch the place.:mad:

·
Registered
261 Posts
We have been calling local scrap yards (they're not much help). Some won't even talk to anyone but the police. I'll call the police again tomorrow and see if they followed up on anything. I am partially to blame for not securing it better but you know how it is, get done with a long, tiring job sometimes things get missed. I should've chained it to the building I guess. They just broke the door (could've been better secured as well) and walked off with it. I don't have any signs on the building so I'm guessing it's someone I know. I think I'll be getting a camera system soon with a DVR and who knows, maybe a rotweiler to watch the place.:mad:
If you install the Video system be sure to do it discretely and not to mention it to anyone, especially if you think it is someone you know.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Why did you buy a 500 foot roll of 3/0 copper for 1 service? Does your supply house not cut wire?
I would have ordered exactly what I needed from my supply house. Best thing is I could order blk, red wht in that sim-pull stuff.
Copper is as high as it's been in years and you buy a full spool???

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have had problems 5-6 times over the last three years. It stated by things missing that was not used all the time and we could not say when they disappeared. Then they got greedy!!

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Large job i'm on has been ripped off repeatedly

almost directly proportional to the area's poverty in fact

imagine that!

~CS~

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
. I think I'll be getting a camera system soon with a DVR and who knows, maybe a rotweiler to watch the place.:mad:
Here's my security cam stories.

1.We got a nice mug shot of some gangbanger looking dude stealing a security camera :jester:

2.We caught a delivery driver red handed stealing a portable generator.

3.We caught an employee helping himself to a few items off a truck. He helped install the camera that caught him. Karma got him good. He dead now.

4.My lighting guy's home system busted a FedEx guy stealing a UPS delivered package :laughing:

5. My business partners nanny cam caught a teenaged girl babysitter rubbing one out with one of the kids toys.:blink:

6. I reviewed a recording and found a bum stealing my dewalt stuff while I was working in the warehouse. I was back and forth to my truck doing some Saturday work inside. I didn't notice that the stuff was missing until Monday.

The stuff was long gone but I ran into the scumbag at McDonalds one morning. I sat down right next to him and introduced myself. I was brutal and kept calling him a piece of **** thief and asking him, "what kind of scumbag steals a mans tools".

He was old and crusty and walked with a limp but, **** him. I made him cry that day and every time I saw him in the hood I would yell something rude to him. I saw a security guard taking with him one day and I stopped and made him tell the gaurd what he did to me.

Haven't seen him in a few years. He's probably dead. Good riddance. I'm pretty harsh when it comes to thieves, especially tool thieves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts