Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like things are gradually ramping up. I'm seeing more and more ads for electricians, some repeated that don't seem to be getting filled. They are starting to get in short supply. Eventually this will put pressure on salaries. This may make it difficult for contractors looking to hire. Especially if you're cheap and don't want to pay a good wage for qualified labor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or it will create the same problem that Alberta is currently dealing with......an influx of TFW's.

Thats right.......the dreaded Temporary Foreign Workers:censored:
We allready have them here in So California in very large numbers, Mostly from Mexico.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We allready have them here in So California in very large numbers, Mostly from Mexico.
Idk where you are located in so cal but the worst ones I keep seeing are the Asians. Ill see a crew of them and I'm pretty sure a lot of them are like indentured servants. It's pretty weird. There are a lot from Mexico though as well.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Or it will create the same problem that Alberta is currently dealing with......an influx of TFW's.

How do they get around the licensing requirements?

I feel like our licensing requirements in my area would prevent an influx of immigrant workers, at least for legitimate contractors that work legally. I suppose there really isn't much they can do about illegal work, the state tries to police it, but they'll never be able to catch them all.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts

I feel like our licensing requirements in my area would prevent an influx of immigrant workers, at least for legitimate contractors that work legally. I suppose there really isn't much they can do about illegal work, the state tries to police it, but they'll never be able to catch them all.
What license you talk about? I have license right here, see! I order it from California same place I got my SS card from. Didn't they do a nice job on it?

·
Estwing magic
26,775 Posts
It seems like things are gradually ramping up. I'm seeing more and more ads for electricians, some repeated that don't seem to be getting filled. They are starting to get in short supply. Eventually this will put pressure on salaries. This may make it difficult for contractors looking to hire. Especially if you're cheap and don't want to pay a good wage for qualified labor.
I see it as opportunity. If skilled labor is in short supply, it means higher demand. Your profit should go up and you can pick your spots.

If you're too cheap to pay for good people, though, it will bite you in the a$$, plain and simple.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

Many of them here are given a verbal exam to pass and it is done in provinces which still use a provincial license. 99% of the TFW's in the oil patch do not have a red seal license.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What license you talk about? I have license right here, see! I order it from California same place I got my SS card from. Didn't they do a nice job on it?
LOLOLO

I guess it's the Administration's appeasement program in full force. Are Citizens outnumbered now in California?

Time to paint my face brown, I guess.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's definitely hard to find good people. We've been looking for a qualified residential journeyman since January. At this point we could probably use two of them! And yes, we pay well - but it seems the pool is limited; The good ones stay with the company they are at and most all the rest are laid off plant hands that don't want to work anyway. Then there was the one we hired and trained who just didn't understand why we would have an issue with him moonlighting!
Yeah, good help is hard to find!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ProLectric said:
It's definitely hard to find good people. We've been looking for a qualified residential journeyman since January. At this point we could probably use two of them! And yes, we pay well - but it seems the pool is limited; The good ones stay with the company they are at and most all the rest are laid off plant hands that don't want to work anyway. Then there was the one we hired and trained who just didn't understand why we would have an issue with him moonlighting! Yeah, good help is hard to find!
Why was he moonlighting ? You needed to work him longer. Tire em out and they don't want to!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
:censored::censored::censored::censored:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I see electrician jobs that require instrumentation, controls, and PLC knowledge that go unfilled for YEARS around my area. I sorta wonder if they don't pay enough and that's why they're hard to fill?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I see electrician jobs that require instrumentation, controls, and PLC knowledge that go unfilled for YEARS around my area. I sorta wonder if they don't pay enough and that's why they're hard to fill?
Been my assumption. I've seen those more than once, but they also like to toss in crap like "welding" or "hydraulics" experience, and by-the-way it's $30 an hour.

Nobody who can do all that well is doing it for less than six figures.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Been my assumption. I've seen those more than once, but they also like to toss in crap like "welding" or "hydraulics" experience, and by-the-way it's $30 an hour.

I think they throw that in because, chances are, if you've done factory/controls work for a sufficiently long time you can weld and you're experienced with pneumatic and hydraulic arrangements. I'm not the guy you want welding new gas pipe, but I can make my own brackets and crap like that.

I sat next to a guy that recruits talent for Amazon on an airplane ride and we talked about what we each did. He related that he's had controls electrician openings he's been trying to fill in Virginia and Pennsylvania for months and months. I think he was sorta trying to recruit me, but I never asked what it paid or details. I don't suspect much.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Being balls deep in the job market I have a pretty good sense of what's going on locally and I think you nailed it. I see ads for journeymen with a ton of experience, PLC, controls, alarm etc and they're offering $25.00 an hour. Ridiculous. Just walking through the door with a license, the ink barely even dry, should warrant that pay.

As has been said in this thread "good people are hard to find". My keen observation skills :thumbsup: confirm this. The biggest thing I see, in all walks of life really, is that nobody cares. People just don't give a crap. As someone who actually does care and takes pride in my work and reputation that drives me absolutely crazy.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

There was one employer here in my area who was like that. They manufactured transmissions and transmission parts for GM. They wanted industrial plant electricians who knew PLC's, hvac controls,automation and instrumentation as well as welding and machining experience all while offering $26/hr:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The place was shut down and moved to Ontario before the job was ever filled.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
There was one employer here in my area who was like that. They manufactured transmissions and transmission parts for GM. They wanted industrial plant electricians who knew PLC's, hvac controls,automation and instrumentation as well as welding and machining experience all while offering $26/hr:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The place was shut down and moved to Ontario before the job was ever filled.
For me, the cool part about actually having those skills is that everyone wants to hire you. You just have to figure out if you want to work for them. That makes job interviews so nice. It's more like you're interviewing them to see if they're good enough for you to work for. :thumbsup:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
For me, the cool part about actually having those skills is that everyone wants to hire you. You just have to figure out if you want to work for them. That makes job interviews so nice. It's more like you're interviewing them to see if they're good enough for you to work for. :thumbsup:
Exactly my thoughts as well Shunk. I have experience and licenses for everything in that list except machinist and could probably go to work anywhere I want to. We get to pick and choose what and who we work for.
Of course....I'm doing the self employed thing now so.....I have to work for almost everyone.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts