Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same favor same friend. He decides like everyother genious "ive done some electric work in my time" and roughed out all his walls and lighting with14 awg. Not the worst job of not overloading things but I went and put all 15 amp breakers ij the panel. My question is does anyone anywhere(long island ny) state that power branch circuits must be a minimum of 20 amps?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Canada is wired with #14. Works just fine.

We did start using #12 a few years back for kitchen counter receptacles but that's because we were all plugging in appliances with one hand while doing dishes with the other so the folks that do code buckled under and went with the manufactures idea of a 20 amp GFI.

Prior to that we had MWBC to the counter plugs so we could run our Tassimo amd toaster from one plug. Now that scenario trips the 20 amp breaker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knpw youll never use it but I dont need some local inspector with his own company coming in and citing a code section that outright says power 20 lighting 15 abd dont mix em

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
The instructor in a class is teaching the students to run 12 for all Residential plugs, and lights in 14 ! I asked him why, he said that's what we recommend !

·
Premium Member
19,492 Posts
Same favor same friend. He decides like everyother genious "ive done some electric work in my time" and roughed out all his walls and lighting with14 awg. Not the worst job of not overloading things but I went and put all 15 amp breakers ij the panel. My question is does anyone anywhere(long island ny) state that power branch circuits must be a minimum of 20 amps?
Dude!

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
commsparky, there are places that require 12 in a resi situation. You should know this very basic info if you are going to do any resi electrical. Do you own a code book? If you do we can help you find the right sections.
Resi is not like commercial where the plans tell you everything. Every job is a little different and knowing the codes is a very important part of this.
Most resi guys would not finish someone else's work anyway.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
The instructor in a class is teaching the students to run 12 for all Residential plugs, and lights in 14 ! I asked him why, he said that's what we recommend !
I'd recommend using 12 for lighting, and 14 for the 'plugs'. :laughing: Have the instructor come up with a code violation for that. :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
ET never fails to deliver.............morning guys wheres dah joe?....use 10awg.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts