Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an industrial smokehouse (480 volt) whose heaters need to be replaced.
The heaters that were ordered are 600 volt 2400 watts. There are thirty heaters in total (an estimate).
I've been asked to rebuild this bank of heaters.
You'll notice Some of these heaters are wired in series. Also, it looks as if the row of heaters at the bottom are 600 volt heaters wired in parallel to 480 volt.
The smokehouse is 50 years old with no original documentation. I need to introduce the equivalent wattage based on the 600 volt heaters I have on hand to a 480 volt system.
How would you approach this?

Attachments

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
The heaters that were ordered are 600 volt 2400 watts. There are thirty heaters in total (an estimate).
You'll notice Some of these heaters are wired in series. Also, it looks as if the row of heaters at the bottom are 600 volt heaters wired in parallel to 480 volt.
The smokehouse is 50 years old with no original documentation. I need to introduce the equivalent wattage based on the 600 volt heaters I have on hand to a 480 volt system.
Who were the heaters ordered from? If you're in Toronto, hopefully it was ASB Heating Elements. Those guys are complete professionals and know everything about electric process heating. They would help you out, for sure.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Wow, Good luck with that... I 'd make a real good sketch out of all that.
If not label the blocks if your only going to rely on only pictures.

I read the post with only the top two terminals showing, and thought,
OK that looks good. Then I expanded the picture and thought, Ah I don't see it.... LOL :jester:

Are those center tapped? Just wow ...

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
It almost has to be re-designed. Trying to mimic the old design probably won't work. The heaters shouldn't have been ordered already.

I was involved in the process heating industry for a few years and wouldn't touch this without help from someone who really knows what they're doing. Hopefully the heaters were ordered from a manufacturer who has solid technical experience. If they were ordered from ChinaHeat, you're SOL.

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
Here we would call that a heat and the individual sections elements

I agree with 99, to mimic the same wattage without knowing some real hard and fast numbers of what was and what you have would be difficult.

Who bought the elements?
Ask them for the wiring diagram
OR
Call the manufacture of the elements.

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
This is a very specific industry. Most of the manufacturers of process heat deal on a direct basis because there is too much technical information to be exchanged. It is not a product that does well being sold through middle men, i.e wholesalers.

A good process heating guy will look at this job from scratch and figure out what's best. It might turn into simply replacing elements or it could end up fabricating something new. Often it depends on how precise the temperature requirements are. A smokehouse might not be as critical as other processes.

As electricians, it is very easy to get over our heads with this kind of thing. I am not questioning your technical abilities but it might be good for you to get some solid advice before you proceed.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I would look at wiring each individual element into a wye configuration for three phase operation.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Saw something like that here in a baconhouse they were 40,all rated at 480Volts 2Kw 60Hz but worked fine at 415Volts 50hz,problem was burned terminals on the breaker screws had never been tightened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts