Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Yeah. It's called a "shade ring". They are available in metal, porcelain, and phenolic. Westinghouse and Satco would be the two I'd go to for that.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I bought some sconces that came with a tool to tighten the ring, it works really well for lights that have small shades that are hard to get your hand into. But not all of the rings are the same and I've found a few that it didn't work with.

I wonder if the threads are all the same?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I bought some sconces that came with a tool to tighten the ring, it works really well for lights that have small shades that are hard to get your hand into. But not all of the rings are the same and I've found a few that it didn't work with.

I wonder if the threads are all the same?
The threads are all the same. It's governed by IEC 60061-1 (7004-21A-2)

Reactions: Hack Work

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Guess it's too late to ask what happened to the original shade rings?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
There is a fixture at the shop that is missing one, and I have a chandelier that refuses to hang perfectly straight so I want to add some rings on the high side.
Ahh... decent reason.

I've taped a nickel on top of 3-light island type fixtures to get them to hang level already, but not all fixtures have a place to tape a coin and not be visible.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Ahh... decent reason.

I've taped a nickel on top of 3-light island type fixtures to get them to hang level already, but not all fixtures have a place to tape a coin and not be visible.

If you do not use light bulbs of the same wattage , the fixture will hang crooked !

I once told a customer this , and they believed it ! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
If you do not use light bulbs of the same wattage , the fixture will hang crooked !

I once told a customer this , and they believed it ! :laughing:
I used to blame it on "cheap" fixtures, but even some higher end stuff hangs crooked. I'm not sure what the manufacturers really expect us to do when a long fixture hangs from a single point. Use our American ingenuity in place of their lack of Asian engineering, I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.