Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the POCO charging more for power during peak hours and people having more and more hybrid cars couldn't everyone install a reversible charger so that you would be able to buy power when the cost is the lowest and then sell it back at the highest rate? I know the 1st thing people have said is that you drive the car or more likely its parked at work during the peak hours, but if these charges where installed at your work, and other places it could feed the building that would tie back into the grid. Here in Seattle we have a lot of tech companies and a lot of battery powered cars on the road. It doesn't seem that complex of a system as you have to pay to charge your car at everyplace so if it was able to track what you fed back into the grid at work and then it leaves enough power to get home or whatever you tell it to do. Maybe something like this is already out, but I haven't heard about it. What do you guys think? With this idea you could literally put batteries into anything and do the same method.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yes there are people and companies already doing this. One has to get the power for a really low amount and be able to sell it back for a good amount more, because you also have the cost of equipment to maintain and replace.

I think power companies and governments are planning for this to be the case in the near future. Forcing efficiency and then opening the market to allow private companies and people to supply during peak will allow them to reduce their costs for infrastructure. Which is great, because they will make bigger profits!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there are people and companies already doing this. One has to get the power for a really low amount and be able to sell it back for a good amount more, because you also have the cost of equipment to maintain and replace.

I think power companies and governments are planning for this to be the case in the near future. Forcing efficiency and then opening the market to allow private companies and people to supply during peak will allow them to reduce their costs for infrastructure. Which is great, because they will make bigger profits!
Who is going to make bigger profits off this? Yes I understand the cost of equipment and such, but if people already have battery powered charges and charging stations at work it doesn't seem like that much more would have to be put into the system to allow this to be done.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Whatsmyname789 said:
With the POCO charging more for power during peak hours and people having more and more hybrid cars couldn't everyone install a reversible charger so that you would be able to buy power when the cost is the lowest and then sell it back at the highest rate? I know the 1st thing people have said is that you drive the car or more likely its parked at work during the peak hours, but if these charges where installed at your work, and other places it could feed the building that would tie back into the grid. Here in Seattle we have a lot of tech companies and a lot of battery powered cars on the road. It doesn't seem that complex of a system as you have to pay to charge your car at everyplace so if it was able to track what you fed back into the grid at work and then it leaves enough power to get home or whatever you tell it to do. Maybe something like this is already out, but I haven't heard about it. What do you guys think? With this idea you could literally put batteries into anything and do the same method.
You have losses in the charging and discharging of the batteries that make this impractical. If you buy the power for half price you would break even once you factor in equipment costs and battery replacement.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
The power company will gladly sell you at .35 a kw/hr and then buy it from you during peak for .05 kw /hr. Matter of fact they encourage that behavior. It's a beautiful Idea, you should go balls to the wall with it.

Reactions: Cajuncurlycircuit

·
Banned
11 Posts
Monitoring and Comparing

I am not familiar of the technology specific to a particular vehicle, but maybe a low end data acquisition and logging into a lap top may help show actual energy transfer amounts. Tied into a simple cost calculation you should be able to optimize when the best times would be. If you would like more details just contact me at

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
macmikeman said:
The power company will gladly sell you at .35 a kw/hr and then buy it from you during peak for .05 kw /hr. Matter of fact they encourage that behavior. It's a beautiful Idea, you should go balls to the wall with it.
I could buy power at the lowest cost and store it in my cars batteries and then at peak times feed it back into our buildings to reduce the cost. I guess this would be like company's running their generators during the day and making ice at night.

I don't think its a horrible idea and with the right people and parts maybe everyone wouldn't have to be bent over on a daily basis by the poco.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.