Electrician Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Sweetheart, lmao

What do I have to gain with lying? I guess if it makes you feel better I can post up my pay stub in an open forum, but that would likely make a big shot like you feel worse. There's barely any union companies in the mining sector, the ones that are get paid less. So where I work its the opposite. If you want proof you can likely google search what any union mining company (vale inco) and maybe (xstrata) not sure if they are vs what any non union contractor like Redpath, Cementation, Dumas, DMC or any other one pays.
So go help yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm currently working in an EPCM job in Saskatchewan, construction at the mine.
I work 20 days a month and take home just over 9k. ( varies a bit) So gross would be 40% or more than that more or less, so looking at 150-160k/ yr.
union companies pay what they pay. Bound by their own rules, so they get paid their local rate. Doesn't matter what the client, and/or EPCM are willing to pay to get the job done on time.

Maybe in your little world it is as you believe, but since there is a lot you don't know about life, especially up here, I can understand it will be hard for you to follow
:sleep1:

Union scale is a minimum. A contractor can pay whatever he wants above scale.
There is no "bound by their own rules.";)
The hourly rate is to be the highest of the following:
- the rate that the contractors and the union negotiated for the geographical location where electrical work is performed
- the rate of the local where the employee was dispatched
- however much above and beyond that rate the contractor chooses

for example, lets say an EC named RacHOP hires someone named Ahrkfolt to work in Rio Linda. The pay rate up in Rio Linda is ~36/hr IIRC. But Ahrkfolt is such a competent worker they send him down to San Jose for a week to install some smoke detectors at BrassRail services. Arkfolt is sad that he can't see his kids for a week but he gets $54/hr down there plus a tax-free per diem so he can get a hotel near the BrassRail.

Arkfolt clears through San Jose's hall and gets to work. Later, RacHOP, hires someone name Jacques to help out at BrassRail. The GF at RacHOP has never seen anyone faster with a pair of strippers than Jacques. They decide to send Jacques to Rio Linda to help out for a few days so now Jacques off to Rio Linda. Jacques still gets his $54/hr because he was dispatched out of a higher paying local hall. RacHOP, upholding their good name, will -- of course -- not likely make this a permanent thing, and jacques back to his little abode in alviso.

---

in addition to this example, there are cases where contractors pay above the negotiated rates at their discretion.

Film Student to Electrician?

Hi, I am currently a film student and will be graduating in the spring of 2014. Obviously, my film degree won't be getting me the greatest jobs, so I've been considering a career as a union electrician with local 5 in Pittsburgh. I think it might be a great way for me to (1) get some steady income and (2) obtain more skills that might be attractive to a production. My main interests in film are cinematography and lighting, so I thought this career choice might be a win-win for me.

I just had a few questions for those of you who have been doing it for a while:
(1)Would working for the union be conducive to these goals I have?
(2)Will it be difficult for me to get into this field with no experience?
(3)Does this line of work have an accepting and comfortable environment (generally) for women?

And, of course, if you have any other advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

The hourly rate is to be the highest of the following:
- the rate that the contractors and the union negotiated for the geographical location where electrical work is performed
- the rate of the local where the employee was dispatched
- however much above and beyond that rate the contractor chooses

for example, lets say an EC named RacHOP hires someone named Ahrkfolt to work in Rio Linda. The pay rate up in Rio Linda is ~36/hr IIRC. But Ahrkfolt is such a competent worker they send him down to San Jose for a week to install some smoke detectors at BrassRail services. Arkfolt is sad that he can't see his kids for a week but he gets $54/hr down there plus a tax-free per diem so he can get a hotel near the BrassRail.

Arkfolt clears through San Jose's hall and gets to work. Later, RacHOP, hires someone name Jacques to help out at BrassRail. The GF at RacHOP has never seen anyone faster with a pair of strippers than Jacques. They decide to send Jacques to Rio Linda to help out for a few days so now Jacques off to Rio Linda. Jacques still gets his $54/hr because he was dispatched out of a higher paying local hall. RacHOP, upholding their good name, will -- of course -- not likely make this a permanent thing, and jacques back to his little abode in alviso.

---

in addition to this example, there are cases where contractors pay above the negotiated rates at their discretion.
LOL.....Awesome story....I'll be laughing for a while on that one!:laughing::laughing:

Hi, I am currently a film student and will be graduating in the spring of 2014. Obviously, my film degree won't be getting me the greatest jobs, so I've been considering a career as a union electrician with local 5 in Pittsburgh. I think it might be a great way for me to (1) get some steady income and (2) obtain more skills that might be attractive to a production. My main interests in film are cinematography and lighting, so I thought this career choice might be a win-win for me.

I just had a few questions for those of you who have been doing it for a while:
(1)Would working for the union be conducive to these goals I have?
(2)Will it be difficult for me to get into this field with no experience?
(3)Does this line of work have an accepting and comfortable environment (generally) for women?
greatly appreciated!
wrong forum, but electrical experience will definetly help getting into production lighting. good luck!

Okay i was planning on MAYBE joining ibew in the near future and wanted the opinions on those who are currently employed in or have recently left to reply to this.
I personally like the way you can choose how much you work and they have work almost all the time, so very little unemployment time. I also like the fact that you get rsp's and benfits in dental and medical. But... The one thing i don't like about job security is that there are some real @ssholes that work with you and dont give a damn about you because they have a guaranteed job.. what do you think?
-Do/Did you like the way they are run?
-Do/Did you enjoy working for them?
No one works for the IBEW. A person who has the capability to work as an electrician and wants support in matters that he personally cannot or "just does not want to deal with" can enlist the union to negotiate for him. That is the bottom line...and I am satisfied.

Sweetheart, lmao

What do I have to gain with lying? I guess if it makes you feel better I can post up my pay stub in an open forum, but that would likely make a big shot like you feel worse. There's barely any union companies in the mining sector, the ones that are get paid less. So where I work its the opposite. If you want proof you can likely google search what any union mining company (vale inco) and maybe (xstrata) not sure if they are vs what any non union contractor like Redpath, Cementation, Dumas, DMC or any other one pays.
So go help yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm currently working in an EPCM job in Saskatchewan, construction at the mine.
I work 20 days a month and take home just over 9k. ( varies a bit) So gross would be 40% or more than that more or less, so looking at 150-160k/ yr.
union companies pay what they pay. Bound by their own rules, so they get paid their local rate. Doesn't matter what the client, and/or EPCM are willing to pay to get the job done on time.

Maybe in your little world it is as you believe, but since there is a lot you don't know about life, especially up here, I can understand it will be hard for you to follow
Hello there Im currently lv1 electrician apprentice got 3 job offer industrial electrician apprentice at Techmation, IBEW 213 ,some 2 man team resident commercial and renovation, my question here im thinking to turn down IBEW and Techmation job to go with small 2 man team job since i can get expose to lot various work instead of just doing pure labour for industrial and IBEW work. I would like to know about ur opinion because im want later in life can work for myself doing small job and maybe work for industrial/instrumentation company working with some hightech. Also what is the work you do as mining electrician?

Okay i was planning on MAYBE joining ibew in the near future and wanted the opinions on those who are currently employed in or have recently left to reply to this.
I personally like the way you can choose how much you work and they have work almost all the time, so very little unemployment time. I also like the fact that you get rsp's and benfits in dental and medical. But... The one thing i don't like about job security is that there are some real @ssholes that work with you and dont give a damn about you because they have a guaranteed job.. what do you think?
I’ve been IBEW for 9yrs. There are assholes everywhere you go. That’s not intrinsic to the union. That being said, I was able to take a month off on unemployment last year when my house was finished being built, when I was ready to go back to work, called my company and they recalled me back to work. Retirement and medical is awesome, didn’t pay a dime when my kid was born. And there is obviously a reason the prevailing wage is based off union scale. I make $50.35hr in Portland metro and most non union guys are making $35-40hr with **** benefits and **** retirement.

#1 You don't work for the IBEW. You work for the contractors.

As for the IBEW?
- a dictatorship
- not transparent
- corrupt
- interested in having more members join for dues money

But if you're OK with the temporary good paying work and don't get involved in the IBEW, you'll do fine.
Only get involved in the IBEW if you can look the other way and stomach the internal corruption.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.