Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this ain't about the ad.

I bought Timberlands this last time around because I was a bit poor after just moving back from CA, but wanted decent boots. After my last pair of Red Wings lasted 1 1/2 years, I figured, "How bad could Timberland Pros be?" Well, pretty bad, apparently. The insole was toast after 3 months, the leather over the steel toe was toast after 2 months, and then, after a grand total of 5 months, BAM, sole is torn and now boot is junk. 5 months for 1/2 the price doesn't seem like a good deal compared to Red Wings, right?

Here are some pictures:

Tear in sole:

Leather gone over steel toe (shoe goo'd since to try and keep the leather from wearing further)

Side pic showing mud, but also f'ed up leather:

Don't waste your money on these pieces of junk, unless you just sit in an office all day and don't work in the field, and need steel toes to go on job sites to tell people what to do. Nothing wrong with that, and if that is your job description, then you can save a bunch of money going with these boots. If you are a field guy, spend your money on quality, as buying Timberland makes about as much sense as lighting $20 on fire.

Here is what these Timberlames are getting replaced with:

Danner Tektite 4.5" non-metallic toe work boots. Should be nice and light, hard toe, and my last Danners lasted 2+ years of snow, mud, hiking in the woods and desert, and finally quit when the sole was completely smooth and wouldn't get any traction anymore. I don't feel like wearing logger boots anymore due to the mess they leave (heavy lugged soles) and the weight, so I am going to skip Red Wings this time around. I'll see if I can dig out my old Red Wings and snap a picture of those too.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Proof we can dress you up , but not take you anywhere Commando.....ya big brute....:rolleyes:~CS~

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I had those timberlands too and thought they were garbage. Mine got holes where the toe bends within a month. I've a pair of low cut cat steel toe work shoes that are very comfortable.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
I still wish I'd saved the pair I got from Lehigh on the recommendation of some coworkers a few years back. They started to fall apart wicked fast, and one day I'm walking through the office and I hear *clank*.... the steel toe had fallen out of the end of the boot.

EDIT: In fairness to Timberland, that wasn't a pair of their boots. It was some off-brand. I'm just reminiscing about shoe failure.

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
I liked the Timberlands of that style. I would go through two pairs a year. I thought they were comfortable. I have worn that style for maybe three years now. This time time I bought a different style Timberland with the rubber over the steel toe and its held up ok since I bought them in August. The previous ones all split the sole and the leather wore away over the steel toe. Comfort good, longevity maybe not so much. We'll see how long this different kind lasts. I'd too like to try out those Danners just for giggles. How much? Where to buy around here?

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
I keep trying Timberlands ( I get a really good discount ) and I regret it every time. Those Danners might get a try.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I liked the Timberlands of that style. I would go through two pairs a year. I thought they were comfortable. I have worn that style for maybe three years now. This time time I bought a different style Timberland with the rubber over the steel toe and its held up ok since I bought them in August. The previous ones all split the sole and the leather wore away over the steel toe. Comfort good, longevity maybe not so much. We'll see how long this different kind lasts. I'd too like to try out those Danners just for giggles. How much? Where to buy around here?
Nowhere around here I know of. Bought them off Amazon, since i know my size in Danners. Should be here between this Friday and next Tuesday. Not too worried about it, since I have a pair of back up boots, and am taking Wednesday-Sunday off for the opener of rifle deer season. :thumbup::laughing:

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
I was doing 9.5 wide I believe on the timberlands. How did that translate from one to the other in your case?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I posted earlier in a thread about the banner ad..
I mentioned that a few boot pairs ago I bought what looks to be the same Timberlands as you have pictured and within a few months They were already looking like they were years old... and I was a shop worker! I almost had the toe shown through and had to retire them after about 3 months because they split like yours did from me kicking 2 door industrial cabinets trying to center them on their bases, which I have done numerous times with past Cats and other cheaper brand boots.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I've seen the Timberlands here on sale a few times and have always thought about giving them a shot. After reading this thread I guess thats out.

I'm going to be looking for a new pair of boots pretty soon too.....my Dakota's are now pushing 3 yrs old and are in need of replacement. They've held up really well and were about the most comfortable boots I've ever owned but they are expensive.

I may go back to Terra's.......and just for ****s and giggles.....they are union made right here in Canada:thumbsup:

Reactions: eejack

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was doing 9.5 wide I believe on the timberlands. How did that translate from one to the other in your case?
I wear a 10 wide in just about everything. I'll let you know how the Danners fit when they get here.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
I've seen the Timberlands here on sale a few times and have always thought about giving them a shot. After reading this thread I guess thats out.

I'm going to be looking for a new pair of boots pretty soon too.....my Dakota's are now pushing 3 yrs old and are in need of replacement. They've held up really well and were about the most comfortable boots I've ever owned but they are expensive.

I may go back to Terra's.......and just for ****s and giggles.....they are union made right here in Canada:thumbsup:

They are so ugly though... I want to like them, but I can't. A week goes by and I go back to their site and try and find something I want, and I fail.
Somebody posts about them on here, so I go and try my best to make something work because it would be so great to wear Canadian boots, and no....
Somebody in that company needs to find out about speed laces.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts