Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working for a while now with my pickup/cap combo but I'm looking into getting a van (should have done this a while ago). Do you guys prefer to install your own shelves and such or buy one ready to go? Im looking at both and I'm leaning toward fabbing my own, however i don't know if that would be the best use of my time. what are your guys opinion?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Been working for a while now with my pickup/cap combo but I'm looking into getting a van (should have done this a while ago). Do you guys prefer to install your own shelves and such or buy one ready to go? Im looking at both and I'm leaning toward fabbing my own, however i don't know if that would be the best use of my time. what are your guys opinion?
Buy used shelving.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Have it built with all the shelves:thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Depends what you want. I've seen some really nice shelves, but some nice prices too.

I built my own and still change things now and then. Like to be able to add custom sections, drawers, bins ect.
Prefer a little more than just some shelving. I added some 12V LED lights left over from a sign retro. Turns on when I open the van doors and automatically shuts off after a few mins. When doors left open.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a full sized Dodge Ram van,runs great,(236,000mi.). I have tried every configuration of shelving,partitions,gadgets,etc. and decided it's better with just a rubber/Rhino floor. For me I drive a Ford 550 bucket truck(Ex Delmarva/AC elec.) .I took all the ladder racks,wire spools,off,installed a rear video camera with a 7 inch monitor and couldn't be more satisfied. The biggest benefit is,I haven't fallen off an extension since. The 550 may not be practical for you,but there are a lot POCO vehicles at the auction.(pick-ups,vans,step vans,bucket,etc.at reasonable prices)

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Unless you have some really specific ideas buy it ready to go. We use to outfit our vans and just delayed getting them on the road and cost more as we bought extra's that weren't really necessary.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Basic shelves are better than an empty cargo bay. Just buy one with steel shelves in it and figure out the configuration you want after.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I would and do build my own shelves in the vans. The factory ones don't hug the sides very well so you lose a ton of room plus they rattle like a MF'er.
Figure out what kind of boxes you are going to use( I use Siemens breaker boxes) and fit the shelving to that. I use that perforated angle iron that the garage door guys use and 1/2 plywood.
Sometimes I buy a craftsman toolbox and put it in there for all the little ****. I will try to take a pic if I get a chance.
I have two Ford vans with the factory shelving and it is ****, the drawers won't open and the sizing takes up way to much space.
More work but worth it. The last one I had a handyman type do it and he charged me around $700. Plus $350 for the tool box and $400 for the ladders rack I am about $1,500 in but it is a pretty nice set up.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts

I bought my van new with the shelving in 2005. I'm ready for a new one too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All very valid points. For me it comes down to will i have enough time to do it properly. i really would rather build my own. lets see some pics of the diy-ers

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Not where I live. Modern metro area, flat terrain, spread out, wide streets with plenty of parking pretty much everywhere.
There are some guys that run trucks like yours around here, but the layout of towns and houses here was all pre-automobile, so trying to get into most driveways and whatnot would be a pain in the butt. An extended van is the biggest I want to go, and even that can require some funky maneuvering to fit. Sure would be nice to have that kind of stock, but unfortunately rather impractical in the lack of suburban sprawl here in northern new england.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts