Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this habit of getting grumpy, tired and angry when I put in too many hours at work. Lately I've been very short with my children and arguing a lot with the wife. She made the comment that im working too much and I need take so time off....

So, I think will. Im in the middle of remodeling my master bathroom, and i can get some work done in there for a few days. Maybe play a few rounds of frisbee golf. Whatever. I just need to relax and rest. Maybe sleep in till 7 every morning or something :laughing:

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the wife and kids to a nearby water park today, and then blew up some fireworks when it got dark. Had a good time, I need to do this more.

I can relax, it just takes me a little bit to wind down.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between the ages of 35 and 50 I just plowed thru, trying to work as many hours as I could. Fatigue, hunger, thirst and vacations were non existent.

Now, I get pissy after 2 hours.

I think I just burned out and got tired of chasing money.
I got that same work ethic from my father. Work work work work. I enjoy it, but I have got to keep my life in balance. My family is the one that has to put up with me, so I need to knock off the grumpyness.

Plenty of work going on around here. Just need to take a small breather.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I got that same work ethic from my father. Work work work work. I enjoy it, but I have got to keep my life in balance. My family is the one that has to put up with me, so I need to knock off the grumpyness.

Plenty of work going on around here. Just need to take a small breather.
Sometimes I wish I had more commitment to working. I will always work a forty but I will always pass up OT or even the rare double bubble.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I wonder how many people on their death bed think, "I wish I had worked more"?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My father worked seven days a week. I work seven days a week. My son works seven days a week. Seems like it's passed along like abuse. Here I am, up at 5:30 AM to go look at more work on a Sunday.
I've learned one thing from working hard. It gets you more hard work!
From day one in this trade guys said work all the ot, you can while its here.
Well the ot is always there, and it gets old. I have personally recently changed my priorities to family then work.
It seems more rewarding to me spending time with the kids, while they're still little 4, and 9 .
Than pulling cables!
Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I've learned one thing from working hard. It gets you more hard work!
From day one in this trade guys said work all the ot, you can while its here.
Well the ot is always there, and it gets old. I have personally recently changed my priorities to family then work.
It seems more rewarding to me spending time with the kids, while they're still little 4, and 9 .
Than pulling cables!
Just my humble opinion
I chose work 1st, I believe it was the wrong choice. Good for you :thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I have this habit of getting grumpy, tired and angry when I put in too many hours at work. Lately I've been very short with my children and arguing a lot with the wife. She made the comment that im working too much and I need take so time off....

So, I think will. Im in the middle of remodeling my master bathroom, and i can get some work done in there for a few days. Maybe play a few rounds of frisbee golf. Whatever. I just need to relax and rest. Maybe sleep in till 7 every morning or something :laughing:

What do you guys do?
Go to your favorite baseball teams home field and watch a few games and if your phone rings let it go to voice-mail for a few days so you can enjoy yourself,, leave the remodeling job alone too.

What you are doing is burning yourself out, once you get there you will not be able to reverse it.

you need to set a finish time such as 5 o'clock in the afternoon and stick to it.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Go to your favorite baseball teams home field and watch a few games and if your phone rings let it go to voice-mail for a few days so you can enjoy yourself,, leave the remodeling job alone too.

What you are doing is burning yourself out, once you get there you will not be able to reverse it.

you need to set a finish time such as 5 o'clock in the afternoon and stick to it.
I think Harry is spot on.

You need to treat this like a job instead of a life. Easier said than done, GL.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
NacBooster29 said:
I've learned one thing from working hard. It gets you more hard work! From day one in this trade guys said work all the ot, you can while its here. Well the ot is always there, and it gets old. I have personally recently changed my priorities to family then work. It seems more rewarding to me spending time with the kids, while they're still little 4, and 9 . Than pulling cables! Just my humble opinion
Your right, but my kids are late 20's to 30's, so it's work for me now. I spend some time with a grandson, but he is 250 miles away.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.