Electrician Talk banner

Tips for newly transitioned combat vet

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  greezy 
#1 ·
hey guys i just recently transitioned from active duty infantry for almost 5 years. The local 223 in mass has bent over backwards waiving the app test and fees which has been extremely helpfull. I just completed my oral interview which i feel was a success and now im just waiting on the word in a couple days. I know alot of cherrys ask the same questions but im just wondering about a couple things. Boots, what is good steel toe? wolverines,timbs. As far as tools im leaning twords klein but def open to help. Tool belt leather? setup? ive had canvass bags before didnt care for them too much..... any help is good help thanks guys

#3 ·
Thank you for your service.You will be great member to 223.
As far boots I like Redwings ,no break in time.
As far as tools are concerned , my local supplies the new apprentices' with theirs,and they have to pay for them.Mostly Klein.I use a Fluke mm. Never wear a tool belt .Carhart for clothes.Good luck and keep us informed.

#4 · (Edited)
The best advice I ever got was, "Keep your mouth shut, and wear a collared shirt". People in the Union are sensitive when it comes to made in USA things. They don't care if you're a vet, if you drive a honda and wear chinese boots they will tell you what a terrible person and American you are. One of my instructors here at Local 134 Chicago told me it was a shame to see veteran license plates on a nissan, my nissan. Thanks jerk. You need to make it BLATANTLY obvious that you are a veteran. These guys are going to treat you like garbage, call you kid, play tricks on you, etc. They won't if they know you are a vet. Put stickers on your hard hat from your branch of service. When you work with new Journeyman they should know you are a veteran within minutes of meeting you, they will treat you with respect and not like a kid. I always made the mistake of keeping quiet about being a vet and people treated me like dirt. I put a few stickers on my Hard hat and they just treated me like a human. People are going to call you kid A LOT, try and hold back from smashing their faces.

#5 ·
Don't go nuts buying tools and such. Good comfortable boots and clothes to start. The folks you work with will show you all sorts of tools and pouches etc...pay attention and figure out what works best for you ( which is not what works best for me ).

I recommend some craftsman tools - inexpensive and guaranteed for life. Basic screwdrivers, strippers, pump pliers, razor knives etc. For the specialty tools, most folks go with Klien but Southwire makes an inexpensive pair of linesman pliers that won't hurt when you destroy your first pair.

Avoid the green Commercial Electric tools.

Have the folks you work with show you the differences in testers - you will need one you can trust and understand. A basic Ideal Volcon or SqD wiggy tester is reliable and readily available. Many folks like the fluke testers as well.

It will be a process, you learn as you go and if you are pleasant and helpful and kindly remind folks that you have the training and determination to do well, folks will treat you well.

Welcome to the site and hopefully welcome to the Brotherhood.

#9 ·
Here is the answer to the original question, sorry for getting off topic and offering advice for a military veteran from a military veteran. I recommend you buy safety toe electrical rated union made in the USA Redwing boots with cute little American flags tied in the laces so everyone knows you are a serious tradesmen and buy American. For tools I recommend Klein and ideal as long as they are stamped made in USA. Buy a Fluke meter because they are the best regardless of where they are manufactured. Don't use your GI bill for the apprenticeship program, save it, you might want to go to college one day to find a full time job.

#11 ·
no tool belt? idk doesnt seem right ....man im not worried about the "kid" things im sure once they see i served in the infantry it will be ok...besides i delt with that as private but i need this job more then any thing so ill just put the smile on ...thanks guys:thumbup:

#12 ·
Tool belt is a personal preference. Most of the jobs I work, we use Rubbermaid push carts. I generally just use a work apron.
The best piece of advice I can give you is "anticipate what you journeyman is doing next", pay attention , never lean against the wall, show interest at all times.There will be a feeling out process with every journeyman you work with.so you"ll know how far you can go as far. Asking questions.I always explain to my apprentices the task and encourage them to ask questions.Don't be afraid to ask something if your not sure.Work in a neat and professional manner.Never take someone's word that a circuit is dead.If your working a circuit and walk away ,always test before continuing.Most important be safe.everyone wants to go home at the end of the day.

#17 ·
:thumbup::thumbup:Just wanted to let all you guys know who have been giving me advice i was accepted into local 223 apprentice program starting in sept. Starting work next month due to demand but cannot believe i was able to transition this fast i still have 30 days leave remaining. The IBEW def went out of there way to help me out.

#22 ·
Haha thanks for the advice I actually got picked up for work this Monday the 1st for work same day I'm supposed to sign and pay for my id. That's a good sign just bought some tools Klein 28 piece cause I figured ill invest now on good tools. Went with timberland pro safety toe...I'm just wondering cause my wife asked and haven't found everything do most locals pay the same, as in bi weekly or weekly? Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.