Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bathroom renovation a year ago and the owner is finally ready to start using it. I had a very slow trip on the GFCI breaker. Because of the bathroom design, the inspector wanted me to GFCI protect some lighting as well as the usual receptacles.

It can take hours for the GFCI to trip with just the lights on. A normal breaker will hold. It's about a 40 year old panel and I can't buy a new GFCI breaker. It's obsolete. I can't remember the name brand offhand. I am going to put a blank face GFCI device beside the panel on the assumption that the old GFCI is just old and tired. Maybe it has seen multiple trips in its life. Does that seem reasonable to you gurus?

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Did a bathroom renovation a year ago and the owner is finally ready to start using it. I had a very slow trip on the GFCI breaker. Because of the bathroom design, the inspector wanted me to GFCI protect some lighting as well as the usual receptacles.

It can take hours for the GFCI to trip with just the lights on. A normal breaker will hold. It's about a 40 year old panel and I can't buy a new GFCI breaker. It's obsolete. I can't remember the name brand offhand. I am going to put a blank face GFCI device beside the panel on the assumption that the old GFCI is just old and tired. Maybe it has seen multiple trips in its life. Does that seem reasonable to you gurus?

Is the existing , a GFCI breaker , or a GFCI receptacle ?

This is a perfectly reasonable question !

The answer may determine what your best option is !

·
Estwing magic
27,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The existing is a GFCI breaker. I want to replace it with a standard breaker and a GFCI blank face device beside the panel. Since the blank face device is essentially a GFCI receptacle, is there a difference between the workings of a GFCI receptacle and a breaker?

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
The existing is a GFCI breaker. I want to replace it with a standard breaker and a GFCI blank face device beside the panel. Since the blank face device is essentially a GFCI receptacle, is there a difference between the workings of a GFCI receptacle and a breaker?

I D K if there is a difference , maybe ask Joe !

I M O replacing the faulty breaker with a standard breaker , then installing a blind face G F I , should work fine !

The entire circuit would then be G F I protected !

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...I am going to put a blank face GFCI device beside the panel on the assumption that the old GFCI is just old and tired....
I've also set deadfronts in the past as opposed to trying to find old GFCIs, but I think you've got a 50/50 chance of discovering there's a real ground fault, and your new GFCI will trip as well.

What happens when you trip test the old GFCI breaker? What does it do when you create a ground-fault with your wiggy?

·
Estwing magic
27,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've also set deadfronts in the past as opposed to trying to find old GFCIs, but I think you've got a 50/50 chance of discovering there's a real ground fault, and your new GFCI will trip as well.

What happens when you trip test the old GFCI breaker? What does it do when you create a ground-fault with your wiggy?
How do I create a ground fault with a wiggy, Brian John?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Why not just protect everything from the GFCI receptacle in bathroom? Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Other than a light directly over the shower in a few areas I have never heard of bath lights needing a GFI. Whats his code reference?

BTW, what make panel is this, most breakers today will fit in older ones.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.