Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned in my short electrical career that there are some advantages to being a shopee like continued work(paycheck) but there are also some draw backs like not receiving well rounded work experience.

Can anyone add anything, pros or cons>?

Thank you.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Being a company guy is what can set you apart from the guys who sit the bench X amount of months per year.

If times are good and the hall is a walk thru, then it doesn't matter. But when times get bad, you better hope to hook up with a company.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a company guy is what can set you apart from the guys who sit the bench X amount of months per year.

If times are good and the hall is a walk thru, then it doesn't matter. But when times get bad, you better hope to hook up with a company.

I can agree with you on that concerning JOURNEYMEN, but JW's can also travel to where the work is good increasing their work experience. Of course, that is early in their career at a young age.

Apprentices should not sit around for shops in order to increase their work experience. I also understand that some shops will not trust apprentices do certain work because not being familiar with their work practices and ethic. Its a tight line.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I can agree with you on that concerning JOURNEYMEN, but JW's can also travel to where the work is good increasing their work experience. Of course, that is early in their career at a young age.

Apprentices should not sit around for shops in order to increase their work experience. I also understand that some shops will not trust apprentices do certain work because not being familiar with their work practices and ethic. Its a tight line.
You could work for the same company and do all kinds of work. Or you can work for different companies and do the exact same work.

In the end, do what puts food on your table. There is one clear choice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could work for the same company and do all kinds of work. Or you can work for different companies and do the exact same work.

In the end, do what puts food on your table. There is one clear choice.
If your lucky you can get with a company and do all kinds of work. Its a very small percentage that do.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
if the company doesnt take advantage of you, its fine. just remember your ba's phone#. after a few years steady, they will try to screw you over.

·
Registered
31,170 Posts
I have men that have been with me 27 years and I will guarantee you they are the best rounded electricians you will ever meet.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I have men that have been with me 27 years and I will guarantee you they are the best rounded electricians you will ever meet.
Yeah, I don't understand this crap about having to rotate. I learned more when i was hooked up with a contractor for a long period of time than when times were slow and I was jumping around.

I'd much rather have full employment.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's hard to get well rounded when your not working. Steadies tend to work on jobs start to finish, they see everything from the mud to the rug. Who cares if you never worked at a nuke plant or ran robroy at a wwtp.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I don't understand this crap about having to rotate. I learned more when i was hooked up with a contractor for a long period of time than when times were slow and I was jumping around.

why didn't you stay with that contractor you learned more with?

why jump around?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Yeah, but I bet you screw them over something awful with paid vacation, sick days, quality vehicles, steady paychecks, and having an owner that gives a crap about his guys. Stupid contractor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Things get slow, layoffs happen. If it wasn't for slow times, I would have been happy to stay with the first contractor I ever worked for.
I understand that if things weren't slow you'd be content to stay with the first contractor. I think many guys would say that about many contractors they have worked for. It's not a perfect world and unfortunately and fortunately you can go to another place and work and add experience to your resume and add skills.

Some guys get that choice to sit or not to sit and that's where guys separate themselves from from shopees.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I just hate when it gets all political and people start wearing knee pads to work. Not one to bAckstab for my job.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Other than a couple bad years, when I worked in both Iraq and Afghanistan to stay afloat, I have been steadily employed. I never was layed off, but rather quit one employer, and requested a reduction of workforce from the other, anticipating a layoff that may or may not have come.

I never had to suck up to anyone, never drank with the boys after work, or bought bottles of single malt for the bosses. I never had to get political.

All I have done was mind my business, work and not talk much, and keep it positive while working safely. Continues to work for me, and now also to my two sons.

If you always work, you'll always work. My first obligation is and always has been to my family, and I do not apologize for being steadily employed these 25+ years. Not everyone is a suck-pump.

·
Registered
31,170 Posts

I do think it is a good learning experience for apprentices, I have some good apprentices that know circuit breakers, generators, batteries and cable testing ETC, but know little about basic branch circuit wiring.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Apprentices should be transferred IMO. I know of some that kept going back to the same shop. IMO they got too comfortable and now most of them are sitting on the books like everybody else, afraid to take a call to another shop. Seeing different contractors as a cub will diversify you and better you as an electrician.

Once you top out you can do as you please. Also keep in mind there is a referral system in place for a reason and a majority of these shoppies abuse it by never signing the book, jumping in front of everyone with a foreman call, sitting at home waiting for the contractor to call them back. The ultimate brother####ing. Don't be that guy.

You can make plenty of money without stabbing your bro's in the back.

·
spaghetti slayer
223 Posts
You should change it up every year to two years. Especially early on in your career.

Get that wide range of experience, meet all those different people. Work big jobs and work small jobs.

And don't be judgemental, calling people pieces of sh, and what not. People aren't pieces of sh. They just been through different circumstances and got discouraged somewhere along the way. It's a really small world, and everybody knows everybody else. You will see everyone again. It keeps me honest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts