Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year and I wondering what your policy is for new employees and bonuses. How long does a employee have to be around before you will bonus them for Christmas? I have 2 new employees that started yesterday, I plan on giving them a small bonus but want to know what you all think.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,023 Posts
It's that time of year and I wondering what your policy is for new employees and bonuses. How long does a employee have to be around before you will bonus them for Christmas? I have 2 new employees that started yesterday, I plan on giving them a small bonus but want to know what you all think.
I would gave them a minimum amount, maybe $ 50 or so. Unless, you are planning on smoking them early next year:)

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I never expect anything above and beyond the base pay and benefits that were offered to me as a condition of my hire, so I don't worry about it.

That said, if you're going to give a bonus, you either give one commensurate with what you think of the guys, or don't do it. I've gotten crap bonuses before, and whether they intend it or not, basically how that translates is "We don't value you any more than this." To me, it's seriously worse than getting nothing.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
my dad use to say "expect nothing and when you get it you won't be surprised"..........$50 would be huge to a new hire...time and value add up see where we are next year..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I give .02% of their yearly salary as a bonus. I also try to take them out to a good lunch, that's probably all a new hire would get.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,550 Posts
Is that a mistype? For a lot of guys that'd be less than $20, and that's exactly the type of thing I was thinking of when I said it'd be insulting.
Need to check the math again.

A 50k salary would get you a 1k bonus at .02%

Must remember to always carry the decimal point!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure that was a typo. 2% of annual is around what I am giving my guys. As for the new hires think we decided lunch and 150.00 each will be what we go with since we just bought their uniforms and some tools. Hopefully they work out up to and past the probation period! Appreciate the feed back guys.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Buy them lunch this year. Give them a bonus next year if they make it to next year.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
2% of annual is around what I am giving my guys. As for the new hires think we decided lunch and 150.00 each will be what we go with.

I like it.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Cletis would make the new guys buy him lunch.

Then dock their pay when they come back 5 minutes late from said lunch.
Don't forget being docked for the poop time required after that big lunch.:laughing:

Reactions: Tsmil

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
If you work for me one day before Christmas you get a weeks pay, from office workers, to apprentices or electricians.

They get a two and a half days pay, Turkey or Ham and the bonus at a company lunch.

Once you give a bonus just figure it is set in stone for all future Christmas's.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Pretty sure that was a typo. 2% of annual is around what I am giving my guys. As for the new hires think we decided lunch and 150.00 each will be what we go with since we just bought their uniforms and some tools. Hopefully they work out up to and past the probation period! Appreciate the feed back guys.
I think this is very generous and they would (should) appreciate it very much...and I'm sure their family will also especially if they have kids.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts