Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100 amp main breaker tripped. Checked all the connections. POCO checked their overhead. And this is an interesting service. Main panel in the barn across the road and overhead three wire to house. Looks like the breaker connection got loose and arched on the bus bar. I moved some breakers and added a new Siemens main. POCO was even nice enough to check overhead splices for sub feed to the house. They reset the main and it worked but called us anyways. Looks like I should schedule a panel replacement. Good thing they called.

Attachments

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
100 amp main breaker tripped. Checked all the connections. POCO checked their overhead. And this is an interesting service. Main panel in the barn across the road and overhead three wire to house. Looks like the breaker connection got loose and arched on the bus bar. I moved some breakers and added a new Siemens main. POCO was even nice enough to check overhead splices for sub feed to the house. They reset the main and it worked but called us anyways. Looks like I should schedule a panel replacement. Good thing they called.
Yup!

That panel must go...:thumbsup:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
The poco came and reset the main? The main breaker in the panel or a fuse cut out on their end? That panel looks like an old POS now but did you bother to check why the arc might've happened?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
The panel's not supposed to be in the barn anyway. Install a 3R panel on the outside wall please!!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a messed up setup. See them all the time on farms. Main panel is across the street in a barn. This panel is a sub panel with a three wire feed that goes overhead across the street. I fixed it temporary by putting a new 100 amp breaker under the old one. The main arched till it fused itself to the bus bar and it was getting really warm with only a 30 amp load when I was there. I would say the breaker connection to the bus bar failed.

POCO checked the overhead lines for the homeowner before I got there. Homeowner reset the main and called us. I checked all the connections in the panels. All connections were good. Did this fix and will hopefully be changing it out sometime. I had a new panel and the breakers in stock. I would have done it right there but I would have to bring it up to the four wire code.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
tell that farmer that's just a temp repair, he needs to change that panel out ASAP! panels going to start blowing sparks pretty soon.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
there's a tip off this panel has problems without pulling breakers. anyone notice the tip off?

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Handle tie rusted. Moisture is getting in from somewhere
rusted handle is correct, but I think its from oxidation from the heat.
I notice the same thing on screws for device covers, burnt connections, devices
= rusted cover screw heads on the outside. 90 percent of the time a tip off problems in that device box

that is if you have burning in that box.

just a troubleshooting check I picked up over the years

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
I've observed those wires glowing red, in panel boxes, device boxes.
people don't realize how serious this burning of components is!

I've showed customers glowing red wires, they didn't take it seriously.:no::eek::blink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rust may be due to barn environment. OP didn't say what the barn's function is but if there are animals living in there, their by products, coupled with moisture can be rather corrosive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts