Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine upgraded to an all-in-one Fiber Optic system (catv/phone/network).
They require a 110 V outlet.
Friend didn't have one close by.
He asked if I would install one for him.
No problem.
I didn't have a standard outlet with me, but did have a GFCI.
Now friend says that the FibOpt folks are concerned that the GFCI might allow too much voltage through and mess up their equipment.

My question is: where in thunderation did this concern come from?

It sounds preposterous, but one thing that I have learned in LO! These many years in the trade is: never dismiss something just 'cause you've never heard of it before.

Any thoughts?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
The Fiber Optics folks need to stick with fiber optics.

No way can a GFI magically increase the voltage.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Hello there and welcome.

I do agree, it is preposterous!

Maybe they are thinking the GFI's circuitry will affect the system some how?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Any thoughts?
yep; the CATV/elecomm folks are idiots, at least based upon their concern as you stated it.

as petey suggested, they may have some other concern (which I believe would be equally unwarranted) but the one you state is simply wrong. A GFCI does not limit nor increase voltage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I'd like to thank all y'all for your quick responses.
I'm forwarding the responses to my friend.
I was pretty certain that the FOpt guy was . . . . well . . . . less than bright, but it's nice to have some back-up.

10-Q and 10-4

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm surprised anybody is looking for 110 volts on any residential receptacle. Been a long time since I've seen voltage that low. Recently saw 116 and that's the lowest I've seen in years!

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I am generally seeing 120 to 125 volts, depending on how close it is to the panel.

·
Registered
885 Posts
depending on what age the guy is, you will often get different numbers.

in the past, the nominal voltage was lower. I though I have read that it was as low as 90 volts at one time and through the years, it went to 100. then 110. then 115, and the current of 120.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
depending on what age the guy is, you will often get different numbers.

in the past, the nominal voltage was lower. I though I have read that it was as low as 90 volts at one time and through the years, it went to 100. then 110. then 115, and the current of 120.

Yep and the location as well too.

I have the same situation in France before the voltage will varies a bit as well anything from old 115 volt circuit all the way modern 250 volt { actally about 242 or so } L-N set up for L-L that a whole diffrent game to deal lol

Merci, Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.