Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you also share my problem of buying new stuff you don't need because it seems like a deal,or you justify the purchase telling yourself it might make you more efficient?

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
first you start with cordless drill (some refer to this as the gateway tool) then you find the drill is not enough,your left wanting so you buy the hammer drill (600.00) to drill one hole but you tell yourself that one day i will have to drill another hole so it was worth the money, but in the meantime you fall behind in the rent. not being satisfied with the HD you think hey i need that three phase data logger (6000.00) it sits there on the shelf while the kids are going hungry. Soon you eye the ultimate, a siccor lift with a backhoe attachment , you scrape up every penny you have and buy it .you have done it you own every tool known to man but at what cost ,the wife and kids have left ,kicked out of your house no money no food. i think tool "addiction" is a little strong of a word

Reactions: HARRY304E

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
first you start with cordless drill (some refer to this as the gateway tool) then you find the drill is not enough,your left wanting so you buy the hammer drill (600.00) to drill one hole but you tell yourself that one day i will have to drill another hole so it was worth the money, but in the meantime you fall behind in the rent. not being satisfied with the HD you think hey i need that three phase data logger (6000.00) it sits there on the shelf while the kids are going hungry. Soon you eye the ultimate, a siccor lift with a backhoe attachment , you scrape up every penny you have and buy it .you have done it you own every tool known to man but at what cost ,the wife and kids have left ,kicked out of your house no money no food. i think tool "addiction" is a little strong of a word
Hey! This is a tool-oholic meeting......:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Mich drew said:
How many of you also share my problem of buying new stuff you don't need because it seems like a deal,or you justify the purchase telling yourself it might make you more efficient?
it was a problem for me about 20 years ago , when I thought I was gonna do my own thing . Now 20 years later , I finally get to use a lot of those tools , which help validate the reason for getting them in the first place , lol ! Now when I need something , I look in my garage first , where I usually find what I need .

·
Tool Fetish
716 Posts
Proper terminology is "tool fetish" thanks. Almost finished upgrading my 14.4 and 18 volt Dewalt stuff to their 20volt stuff. At about $1,000 so far and not done. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,233 Posts
You know you have a problem, when you see a new tool, then go out and pick up a project so you have the proper excuse to buy that tool. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Here's my new list for 2014:
555 bender, hydraulic Ko set, Rigid 535 Pipe threader, or at least a Pony, Mig welder, and a Portaband.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,472 Posts
It's not an addiction, I can stop any time I want to.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
No we just have to keep saying it to convince ourselves.

Are we addicted to buying tools? NO.
Did we buy tools? Yes, probably during one of our drunken stupors.
We're not addicts. :no:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
No we just have to keep saying it to convince ourselves.

Are we addicted to buying tools? NO.
Did we buy tools? Yes, probably during one of our drunken stupors.
We're not addicts. :no:
I've apologized......I can't change the past.:laughing:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i just bought a set of hose pleirs(automotive). never seen one before. turns out the small one is just right for reaching inside walls to grab romex or whatever!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts