Electrician Talk banner

4201 - 4220 of 4238 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete E
Just a quick question, but I notice many folks on here carry aviation snips...Just wondering what you guys use them for?

Mostly to cut metal studs to make brackets, or to modify store bought box mounting brackets.
I've never found a need for aviation snips nor seen them used much over here, hence my original question.

About a month after asking the question, I was doing a job involving cutting the plasterboard (sheetrock?) stud walls in the house, only to find it was all held up with metal studding rather than the usual timbre...

So I am now the proud owner of a pair of nice shiny used once only aviation snips!

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,050 Posts
Here is my AWP, it has held up well with being pulled up on top of silos with a rope and generally banged around. I especially like the compartment shown with the zipper that I keep my wiggy in and a cheapie meter in. The d ring with my lock in it is a reminder to loto.

Attachments

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
Here is my AWP, it has held up well with being pulled up on top of silos with a rope and generally banged around. I especially like the compartment shown with the zipper that I keep my wiggy in and a cheapie meter in. The d ring with my lock in it is a reminder to loto.
Only thing I had issue with when using that style bag is how easy they dump over in the truck/van.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
That has to do with your driving.
In a way, but in the NYC metro area it's more defensive driving to avoid the morons that do stupid chit right in front of you.

I can honestly say that other than a dumbass that physically ran into my passenger side mirror against the signal light for his crosswalk and took a cartoon like flying spill I have never had a vehicle I was driving damaged while I was at the wheel.

I did have one truck side swiped on 34th street and 2nd ave but it was parked in a proper loading zone at the time.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Only thing I had issue with when using that style bag is how easy they dump over in the truck/van.
With the way all the tools go in head first, it's really bottom heavy and pretty stable. My work truck is a driver only affair and it sits snugly in the passenger seat with nary a twitch.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
With the way all the tools go in head first, it's really bottom heavy and pretty stable. My work truck is a driver only affair and it sits snugly in the passenger seat with nary a twitch.
I kept mine in a milk crate in the back of the van to stop it from falling over.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The tote type carriers are okay for some uses but aside from the tipping issue which a couple of our guys had, the other factor is weight. Seems like you overload these even when you don't want to. One other curious factor was they seem to draw the sticky finger types. It is like to them you are setting it out there as a help yourself bin. Makes no sense but I have noticed this more than once. Maybe it is because there are so many tool handles sticking up in the open? Anyone else see this happen? BTW, I have zero tolerance for these 'tool liberators'. They always seem to be lurking around where they are not wanted.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
The tote type carriers are okay for some uses but aside from the tipping issue which a couple of our guys had, the other factor is weight. Seems like you overload these even when you don't want to. One other curious factor was they seem to draw the sticky finger types. It is like to them you are setting it out there as a help yourself bin. Makes no sense but I have noticed this more than once. Maybe it is because there are so many tool handles sticking up in the open? Anyone else see this happen? BTW, I have zero tolerance for these 'tool liberators'. They always seem to be lurking around where they are not wanted.
Accidents can happen easily on a larger job....just saying!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I must really be blessed, because I have left a tool behind at a plant and it always makes it back to me. I work with a great group of guys and they are good to help, even if they get in the way doing it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Accidents can happen easily on a larger job....just saying!
I must really be blessed, because I have left a tool behind at a plant and it always makes it back to me. I work with a great group of guys and they are good to help, even if they get in the way doing it.
I was probably being a little harsh but over the years we had a couple of guys who simply couldn't keep their hands out of stuff. Much of our tool kit was employer supplied(huge mro for a university, 250+ employees in maintenance alone to include grounds) and some of these guys seemed to think it was a fringe benefit to liberate tools from their bondage. It wasn't rampant but they didn't care if it was you who had to go begging the boss for replacements. Most of it came down to them losing stuff and instead of going through the process they would snag someone elses to avoid having to deal with it.

I often wondered over the years what some of these guys would have had happen to them if they were working construction when I was a young guy back in the early 80s? Never mind. I know what would have happened and it would have been painful. It was still the wild west in construction in those days.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
I was probably being a little harsh but over the years we had a couple of guys who simply couldn't keep their hands out of stuff. Much of our tool kit was employer supplied(huge mro for a university, 250+ employees in maintenance alone to include grounds) and some of these guys seemed to think it was a fringe benefit to liberate tools from their bondage. It wasn't rampant but they didn't care if it was you who had to go begging the boss for replacements. Most of it came down to them losing stuff and instead of going through the process they would snag someone elses to avoid having to deal with it.

I often wondered over the years what some of these guys would have had happen to them if they were working construction when I was a young guy back in the early 80s? Never mind. I know what would have happened and it would have been painful. It was still the wild west in construction in those days.
As long as they have health insurance and short term disability it's all golden.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gotta etch all your tools with your name... that way, if they have even a shred of forethought, they'll realize stealing your stuff means people asking them why they have stuff that has your name on it. At the very least, they should realize it will make it harder to resell.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
Gotta etch all your tools with your name... that way, if they have even a shred of forethought, they'll realize stealing your stuff means people asking them why they have stuff that has your name on it. At the very least, they should realize it will make it harder to resell.
Some times they maybe harder to sell, if guys wouldn't buy them there would be no market.

I know one guy that actually bought the tools from his own truck back....

·
Master Electrician
186 Posts
I haven’t been on here in a long time. I think I will post photos of my tool bags/tool belt setups, show you guys what I’m working with.

·
Master Electrician
186 Posts
Here is my current service call/troubleshoot bag. I just threw this together the other day. Was inspired by Mac to have multiple tool set ups for different tasks. I might take photos of the contents later. I have more to come as well.

Attachments

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
Here is my current service call/troubleshoot bag. I just threw this together the other day. Was inspired by Mac to have multiple tool set ups for different tasks. I might take photos of the contents later. I have more to come as well.

Decent looking set-up.

Reactions: jordandunlop

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How many screwdrivers, and of what type, do you need to troubleshoot?
Methinks you could save some space

·
Master Electrician
186 Posts
Decent looking set-up.
Thanks Mac!! I want to switch the bag out for a Klein Tools tote, and change a few of the pliers like the cable cutters and crimpers to journeyman series. Need to get a fluke T5-1000 meter in there to at some point. When I get a chance I will post my install/rough in bag I have along with my toolbelt.

4201 - 4220 of 4238 Posts