Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a consultant working on a project to analyze the tool industry. I was wondering where electricians regularly buy tools, whether at the big boxes, online or at other specialty stores. I would appreciate it if you could tell which specialty stores :)

Also, I am curious is electricians use levels and if so are there preferred brands?

Any insight you provide is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Aviva

·
Senior Moment
385 Posts
Klein Tools, Knipex, anywhere.
Specialty tools (meters, test equipment) @ specialty stores, sometimes online.
Torpedo levels that are quality American made and utilize rare-earth magnets for a strong hold when hanging on a conduit run.
House-branded lines (Commercial Electric, Kobalt) are usually cheap imported Big Box junk made for homeowner's occasional use.

·
Estwing magic
27,268 Posts
It's a traditional industry and we like our traditional manufacturers. We don't buy hand tools from a wire manufacturer and don't buy meters from a manufacturer who makes knockout cutters. We go for the guys who specialize and are good at what they do. I know some people like Milwaukee hand tools but I consider them a power tool manufacturer. You can't be all things to all people.

I can't understand manufacturers who have developed a reputation over decades who then destroy it by rebranding Chinese junk. Any idiot in business knows that a good reputation is your greatest asset.

I will buy from a box store if it is the tool I want. Quality supersedes price. I usually buy at the store because when I want it, I want it now. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to wait for delivery from an online store.

·
Estwing magic
27,268 Posts
99cents, I love ordering tools online as I usually get more then I really need because you just click here and there and it all comes in one big box almost like Christmas. You open it up and forgot your ordered this or that as well so it is like a big surprise. :thumbsup:
Do you have short term memory loss? Forget I said that :laughing: .

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,146 Posts
Handtools and specialty stuff I get at supply houses as impulse buys. I buy some stuff online, mostly newly introduced items. I hate store brands they are usually junk.

As for levels I buy the ones from good manufacturers that have good magnets and seem durable, Empire makes most brands I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.