Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of us, tools are not only what we are work with, but collecting them can be a bit of a hobby of ours. Getting to play with new ones, and trying them out on the job can be quite a pleasure!

So i'm curious, where are most of you guys purchasing them??

I do like to shop local, and do when i can, but most of the time you can't find the new hot tools around here. So i resort to the internet.

What are some of your guys favorite websites, to find the new tools and some good bargains??

·
Registered
274 Posts
I buy mostly older, US-made tools in excellent shape off of Ebay, or on Craig's. Not my cordless tools, of course, but most else.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Amazon, Harry Epstein, Zoro.

Sometimes, ToolUp and Tools Delivered, but not very often.

If I have to go through the pain of going to Lowes, I will cruise through the tool section looking for yellow closeout tags. Picked up a Greenlee slug buster kit for $65 doing that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet sweet, keep em coming!

Just recently found chadstoolbox my self and found some good deals there. For round about things, a buddy and i hit up auctions often. I visit sears often as well.

·
IT/Phone Guy
705 Posts
They are retail along with mail order. Go see Steve, Ken, or Jori. Tell them you know me!
It's my goal to visit soon and buy them all a round of their favorite beverage.
I've been ordering from them for 2 years now, found out about them from Garage Journal. You won't find nicer people!

·
Conservitum Americum
8,963 Posts
Snap-On man, MAC Tools man,

Steve's Wholesale Tools. (local shops)
https://www.steveswholesaletools.com/departments

I only buy drill bits at a machinist jobber, screw the Black and Decker, Dewalt, and Irwin crap. If you've ever used a real drill bit, you know what I say is true. You can twirl the new ones on your thumbnail and they'll cut right through.

I also have invested in a Drill Doctor bit sharpener. That thing has saved my bacon a few times and more than paid for itself.

Reactions: jeffmoss26

·
Conservitum Americum
8,963 Posts
A funny story about tools.

Years ago I was on vacation and I saw a company in Arkansas that had my grandparents last name. I stopped and told them this and they invited me to tour the facility. They manufactured tiny drill bits. I saw one under a microscope. They told me a story while touring the area.

It seemed the engineers were so proud of these bits they sent several to Japan to various manufacturers. They all came back with holes drilled through them. :eek: :mad:

·
IT/Phone Guy
705 Posts
A funny story about tools.

Years ago I was on vacation and I saw a company in Arkansas that had my grandparents last name. I stopped and told them this and they invited me to tour the facility. They manufactured tiny drill bits. I saw one under a microscope. They told me a story while touring the area.

It seemed the engineers were so proud of these bits they sent several to Japan to various manufacturers. They all came back with holes drilled through them. :eek: :mad:
One of our machinists told me a similar story!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts