Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my apprenticeship very soon and I need a little advice. I have purchased a good amount of tools already but cant decide if I have everything expected of me and/or figured out how to carry them. if someone would help me look as prepared and intelligent as possible on my first day I would greatly appreciate it. if not, I will probably be the idiot carrying all the tools I own at one time, in one pouch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am starting my apprenticeship very soon and I need a little advice. I have purchased a good amount of tools already but cant decide if I have everything expected of me and/or figured out how to carry them. if someone would help me look as prepared and intelligent as possible on my first day I would greatly appreciate it. if not, I will probably be the idiot carrying all the tools I own at one time, in one pouch.
Are you going to be a residential or commercial electrician??

List what you have and we can go from there.

As a first year you won't need to have every tool but having them isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
residential sorry should have said that to begin with.

right now I have my pouch packed with :

- lineman pliers
- box cutter
- sharpie/pencil
- small flashlight
- tape measure
- wire strippers
- large and small Phillips and flathead drivers
- extra flathead for banging on stuff
- torpedo level
- hammer
- crescent wrench
- small channel locks (assuming I need a bigger pair as well)
- voltage tester
- needle nose pliers

assuming I need some hex keys and some nut drivers, other than that not sure what else or if I need to carry ALL that all the time

·
Registered
69 Posts
residential sorry should have said that to begin with.

right now I have my pouch packed with :

- lineman pliers
- box cutter
- sharpie/pencil
- small flashlight
- tape measure
- wire strippers
- large and small Phillips and flathead drivers
- extra flathead for banging on stuff
- torpedo level
- hammer
- crescent wrench
- small channel locks (assuming I need a bigger pair as well)
- voltage tester
- needle nose pliers

assuming I need some hex keys and some nut drivers, other than that not sure what else or if I need to carry ALL that all the time

Add a small notebook and I'd say you should be good with what you have.

The best tool you can use is your brain. Listen to what you are told if you don't know or understand something ask.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
You need diagonal cutters (with angled head) They are a WAY better cutting tool than side cutters. They also work great for pulling nails

And, for resi work, you will not need to carry all your tools all the time.

Get a couple aprons. Use one for staples. When you are pulling cable, all you need is a hammer, staples and a wire cutting tool (see above)

For most make up, you will only need razor knife, strippers, wirenuts and crimps/crimp tool.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
The 11 of 15 in one screwdrivers are great. You get the robertsons, phillips, tork, flat and nut drivers in one tool.

The only trick is figuring out how to keep track of the tips when you pull them out to use the nut drivers.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Swap out the crescent wrench for some ***** and you are in business.
As far as nut drivers...1/4 and 5/16 would be your most common as far as carrying,
you're better off just getting an 8 in one.
And an allen set.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You need a legit multimeter, not just a voltage tester. As someone above mentioned, dikes.

I would also get a drop light that has a receptacle on it, and an extension cord. Take two minutes to set up your work area properly (clean, safe, well lit, stocked with appropriate materials) before you begin. This enables you to work like an actual human, rather than a moron.

Good luck, and welcome to our trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
What's next, an amprobe? 3/4 & 1/2" benders? This guy is a green helper, not an independent contractor. Extention cords and drop lights? Really? WTF is the contractor supposed to supply?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.