Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a young female that just graduated from the university of guelph, hoping to pursue a career in electrical work. I was wondering if anyone would have information on how I can start my pre-apprenticeship or apprenticeship. I have called some companies and have been searching online, however I find it quite confusing to get into this trade.

If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. I am currently helping a free lance electrician to renovate his basement to get some basic knowledge of the field so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
"Free lance electrician" what is that?
Typically an electrician is employed, self employed or unemployed, then again in Ontario the later classification seems to be very common. For some reason to me when I hear something like "free lance" I think of someone without a ticket working underground.

Best way to get into the business is go out and meet people, do some networking and get known. Try going to one (or all) of the Supply Houses and make friends with the guys behind the counter and have them introduce you around.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I recommend moving out west(AB or SK) for better pay, experience and job opportunity/security. Especially if you have to pay off OSAP loans. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for your recommendations! When I say free lance it's more a business term but I am working for someone who is self-employed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts