Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now torquing all circuit breakers, panel terminals, switches, and receptacles per 2017 NEC requirements. Torque for Leviton residential devices is 12 -14 inch pounds, commercial devices 20 inch pounds. I believe Hubble is 9-12 inch lbs for residential devices. Of course follow what is printed on the device, or consult the manufacturer.
I use a torque screwdriver with a range of 5 to 60 inch lbs. which cost about $70. I always return the dial to zero after a torquing session. I find it is much faster to use the torque tool verses a screwdriver and going 1/4 turn past "snug" which is not accurate.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I am now torquing all circuit breakers, panel terminals, switches, and receptacles per 2017 NEC requirements. Torque for Leviton residential devices is 12 -14 inch pounds, commercial devices 20 inch pounds. I believe Hubble is 9-12 inch lbs for residential devices. Of course follow what is printed on the device, or consult the manufacturer.
I use a torque screwdriver with a range of 5 to 60 inch lbs. which cost about $70. I always return the dial to zero after a torquing session. I find it is much faster to use the torque tool verses a screwdriver and going 1/4 turn past "snug" which is not accurate.
How long do you think you will keep this nonsense up for?

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
70.00 SEEMS Cheap for a quality torque screwdriver
And they do wear out
and they should be calibrated yearly.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,759 Posts
Screw guns will have that feature available before long via limiting the current.

To certify the tension in post-tension cabling in highrise construction we monitor an amp meter on the pulling device.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Thanks, but I'll stick with my 30 years of experience.
How many houses have burned down because you didn't tighten down a screw terminal on a device enough or too much?

You probably should have used the backstabs, that's definitely safer than tightening screw terminals without a torque driver.

The NEC, everyone. Blindly follow along, it will keep you warm and safe.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
How many houses have burned down because you didn't tighten down a screw terminal on a device enough or too much?

Probably none, I'm only careless when I know I'm leaving in the Arc-Faults after inspection. :biggrin:

·
Hackenschmidt
11,355 Posts
I think the best thing would be devices with Bellville washers on all the device screws.

These only flatten out when you reach the correct torque. Of course the washers would have to be serialized, tested, calibrated, and traceable back to NIST. I don't think a switch or receptacle would have to be more than maybe $20 or $25 which is a small price to pay for safety.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,248 Posts
Any body with experience with circuit breakers, Aluminum wire, and torque values? The breaker is rated for Aluminum wire with a torque value. However when using that value, it squishes the wire to the point of almost breaking free. New screwdriver. Called the manufacturer and he said I had the correct inch pounds.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'll torque a $20k switch gear and a $75k transformer

I refuse to torque a 20 amp circuit breaker. If you can't properly tighten a small breaker, receptacle or switch......

I recommend plumbing as a new career..... you need only to know two things
1)**** rolls down hill
2)dont eat you finger nails on the way home from work

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

I refuse to torque a 20 amp circuit breaker. If you can't properly tighten a small breaker, receptacle or switch......

1)**** rolls down hill
Are you nuts? I made my first million when I invented the torque basin wrench.

·
Yeah Toast!!
1,270 Posts
At the last in-service training class we were told how important it was to torque everything. Instructor even passed around a torque screwdriver and a ground bus bar and everyone in class had a chance to use it. The proper torque was set by the instructor and we were also given #12 copper pigtails.

After everyone was completed I asked the instructor to remove the pigtails because I has a suspicion that the torque was to much simply because of job experience.

Every single #12 copper wire was flatten inside the lug almost to the point of breaking.

I'll past on the torque screwdriver for now.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,248 Posts
I also think there is nothing like experience. I only brought up torquing Aluminum wire on a breaker because it is now in the 2017 NEC and the torque screwdriver is a new tool to use. It probably will sit in the truck for now.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,680 Posts
I back stab and then torque it down till the screw just begins to strip.
Haven't burned anything down yet.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,354 Posts

1)**** rolls down hill

You forgot #3 - Never eat the last bite of a sandwich

1 - 20 of 77 Posts