Electrician Talk banner

Torque for receptacles, switches

43K views 145 replies 47 participants last post by  460 Delta 
#1 ·
I am now torquing all circuit breakers, panel terminals, switches, and receptacles per 2017 NEC requirements. Torque for Leviton residential devices is 12 -14 inch pounds, commercial devices 20 inch pounds. I believe Hubble is 9-12 inch lbs for residential devices. Of course follow what is printed on the device, or consult the manufacturer.
I use a torque screwdriver with a range of 5 to 60 inch lbs. which cost about $70. I always return the dial to zero after a torquing session. I find it is much faster to use the torque tool verses a screwdriver and going 1/4 turn past "snug" which is not accurate.

#10 · (Edited)
I think the best thing would be devices with Bellville washers on all the device screws.

These only flatten out when you reach the correct torque. Of course the washers would have to be serialized, tested, calibrated, and traceable back to NIST. I don't think a switch or receptacle would have to be more than maybe $20 or $25 which is a small price to pay for safety.

#15 ·
At the last in-service training class we were told how important it was to torque everything. Instructor even passed around a torque screwdriver and a ground bus bar and everyone in class had a chance to use it. The proper torque was set by the instructor and we were also given #12 copper pigtails.

After everyone was completed I asked the instructor to remove the pigtails because I has a suspicion that the torque was to much simply because of job experience.

Every single #12 copper wire was flatten inside the lug almost to the point of breaking.

I'll past on the torque screwdriver for now.

#22 ·
Get your local inspector to put it in writing that you do not need to follow the NEC and torque circuit breakers, switches, and receptacles. Then I will listen to you. (but only in your jurisdiction.)
Also, overtightening distorts the threads and can cause loose and arcing connections.

#48 ·
By the way, if you buy Leviton, the resi grade is the 12650, the commercial is the BR15. They are both made in USA right now. They weren't four years ago, I think they were China for the cheapo and Mexico for the upgrade. We'll see where they are made in another year or two.

#50 ·
I have heard and read with amused interest as to the application of the correct torque - and the measurement of same - to screw terminals. The terms "in-lbs' and "Nm" get tossed around like people knew what they were or if they gave a rat's a**. I have my own scale that has served me well for 30+ years - grunts. The bigger the screw head the more "grunts" of force to apply. My forearm usually tells me when the screw is set.

#52 ·
Good to hear!!! Not to be a Debbie Downer but:
Be sure to keep your calibration records for it. The lawyer will ask for them after a fire. Most need calibrated at least once a year.

Also, you’ll need at least two sets of screwdrivers so you will still have one to use while the other one has been sent off for calibration.

Or, you can keep a new, unused one nearby and throw away the old one after it’s calibration period expires. It may be cheaper than paying for shipping & calibration costs.

Also, make sure you have enough for each of your employees. Or just have one and share.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.