Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sometimes climb towers for work but only occasionally and after about 100 feet my hands and legs are done and I have to hang on with the crook of my elbow instead of my hands. The guys that climb a 200 feet or more must be in some great shape for sure.

It is kind of cool when you are up there enjoying the view but we hire out anything with any real level of difficulty. I prefer keeping my feet flat on the ground.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Back in my day the apprentice had to replace the float in the cesspool pit and the top dogs got to change the strobe on the water towers, 30 years later I prefer the one handed stand with a bulb in the mouth a few hundred feet off the ground vs the pit.

I still wonder how much they are paid to do this?

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Back in my day the apprentice had to replace the float in the cesspool pit and the top dogs got to change the strobe on the water towers, 30 years later I prefer the one handed stand with a bulb in the mouth a few hundred feet off the ground vs the pit.

I still wonder how much they are paid to do this?

Me , I use the Coin Flip Method .

HEADS you go climb the Tower ... TAILS I go Home .

Works for me . Maybe you could use a Bridge Jumpers Parachute .

Pete

·
Super Moderator
16,343 Posts
I climbed telemetry towers when i worked for SFWMD. I am not exactly sure how tall they were though.
About as tall as a cell tower, I'm guessing.
I thought it was fun back then. I would quit before doing something like that again.

·
Mr. Awesome
100 Posts
I went up a transmission tower once to change a beacon out... had a ladder and a lad safe the whole way up to a platform you could stand on. You would have to pay me a hell of a lot more to climb up that third world tower there, but with enough fiscal stimulation I would do it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
4.9 million dollars...I am never going back up..and I am not doing electrical work again. LMAO..4.9 million..I pay myself twice my yearly for the next 40 years...with out interest just taking from the 4.9...84 years old..I more than likely will not know where to pee...diaper..or floor.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts