Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
People work too cheap..if everyone asked for what they thought they was worth..Ummm..it would be a better place

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I am not sure I could do that....for any amount of money. 1800' is quite a bit to climb.
They don't climb the entire 1800'. They ride an elevator 1600' up then climb from there.

That doesn't mean I would do it though. :whistling2:

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
People work too cheap..if everyone asked for what they thought they was worth..Ummm..it would be a better place
I don't understand this comment. If I can make $10,000 an hour that would be great but reality tells me I can only make $50. I am guessing you are a young democrat or a politician???

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Sitting on my lazy butt at only 100'. I think a 100' fall would do just as good of a job as 1800' though. Now my legs start shaking just getting up on my roof. :whistling2:

On Top of The World.jpg

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Ok. Let's say I agree. Let's put a price on it. How much would it take for you to climb the video shown?

For me, I'd have to say, give me $3,000 and I'd do it.
I COULD NOT climb that at any price. I would be paralyzed by fear :blink:

What happens if you drop a tool while working up there. Do you carry duplicates or climb back down to get it?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The difference between that moron on the bike, and a tower climber is.
The guy on the bike may have the best reflexes, best motor controls. But one person cuts in front of him going 100 mph and he's a bug on their windshield. So he is putting his life in other peoples hands.
The guy on the tower although unsettling to most, has control over his own life.
Granted there is a built in fear in most of us that would say to not do the tower climbing. It could be overcome . If you had to climb in a life or death situation.
For some reason a certain segment of the population has no issue with climbing up.there. maybe they are close cousin to the chimps we came from.
I also think you will see that tower climbers don't make a fortune doing this work, although they should make a good amount imo.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This pay rate would not get me up there

Average Salary and Pay Scale
Data published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011 show that radio, cellular and tower equipment installers and repairs made a mean annual wage of $44,250. This group includes transmission tower climbers. The lowest-paid 10 percent earned less than $26,200 per year and $12.60 per hour, while the highest-paid 10 percent earned $67,660 or more per year and $32.53 or more per hour. The national average was $21.27 per hour.
Quoted from this link:
http://work.chron.com/transmission-tower-climber-paid-5300.html

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This guy probably should of died no less than a dozen times in just that one video. I kept waiting for him to break his mirrors off or catch his handlebars on a car.
His handlebars are very short. I wonder if he caused any accidents by freaking people out about a bike missing a head-on with them by a couple feet.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Not a good day to have the runs.....:eek::laughing:
At that height just drop your draws and let it go......not like anyone can see that far up and by the time it hits them., you'll be done.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dumbest statement ever. Va is a right to work state, and there are plenty of people here making good money.
So is NC but I have ask the guys that build our communication towers how much they make. They are proud to tell you they make $12.00/hr plus travel. When I tell them they are crazy hanging 500 ft up bolting the tower together for $12.00 they say "but we get a lot of overtime" :eek: Dude that's only $18.00 per hr.
Would be nice to be 22 and dumb again :no:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
So is NC but I have ask the guys that build our communication towers how much they make. They are proud to tell you they make $12.00/hr plus travel. When I tell them they are crazy hanging 500 ft up bolting the tower together for $12.00 they say "but we get a lot of overtime" :eek: Dude that's only $18.00 per hr.
Would be nice to be 22 and dumb again :no:
I wouldn't get outta bed for that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts