Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm wanting to take the Town of Hempstead electrical exam and can't find any info on how to obtain one? Does anyone know a link or number to call?
I've searched online and on the town of Hempstead website but I'm so confused with all the villages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Guys, I'm wanting to take the Town of Hempstead electrical exam and can't find any info on how to obtain one? Does anyone know a link or number to call?
I've searched online and on the town of Hempstead website but I'm so confused with all the villages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Is that in Australia or New York?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have updated my location. I'm in New York now, having moved here in July from Australia.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
That test is designed to make you fail... the "Boys Club" is all filled up and the last thing they want is another EC taking money from their pockets....

And if you don't live in Nassau County..... you will be put through the ringer to work in all the towns and villages...

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
A old helper of mine (now a J-man) got screwed, they wouldn't count his apprenticeship time (5 years) for the 7 years. So he only has 3 as a j-man. Really sucks....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard you need 7 years documented experience before they will process your application.
If this is the case, then I think I'm studying for nothing for the Hempstead exam.
The city of long beach said when I went to the town hall that I could use my 11 years experience as a licensed electrician in Australia along with my Canadian red seal (Ontario) license ( which I got 3 yrs ago) and with that proof of experience I could take the long beach exam.

But I'm confused how things work here in regards to having a license? I don't want to work for myself yet. I don't know enough about the code in New York to go out on my own yet plus I don't have the $$$ yet.

Do I need to be licensed to work as an electrician or can I work unlicensed under a contractor who is licensed?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
heffo said:
If this is the case, then I think I'm studying for nothing for the Hempstead exam. The city of long beach said when I went to the town hall that I could use my 11 years experience as a licensed electrician in Australia along with my Canadian red seal (Ontario) license ( which I got 3 yrs ago) and with that proof of experience I could take the long beach exam. But I'm confused how things work here in regards to having a license? I don't want to work for myself yet. I don't know enough about the code in New York to go out on my own yet plus I don't have the $$$ yet. Do I need to be licensed to work as an electrician or can I work unlicensed under a contractor who is licensed?
A masters license is not required to work for an electrical contractor.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
duque00 said:
A old helper of mine (now a J-man) got screwed, they wouldn't count his apprenticeship time (5 years) for the 7 years. So he only has 3 as a j-man. Really sucks....
that sounds bizarre. Where did his apprenticeship take place that his time wouldnt count?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
If this is the case, then I think I'm studying for nothing for the Hempstead exam.
The city of long beach said when I went to the town hall that I could use my 11 years experience as a licensed electrician in Australia along with my Canadian red seal (Ontario) license ( which I got 3 yrs ago) and with that proof of experience I could take the long beach exam.

But I'm confused how things work here in regards to having a license? I don't want to work for myself yet. I don't know enough about the code in New York to go out on my own yet plus I don't have the $$$ yet.

Do I need to be licensed to work as an electrician or can I work unlicensed under a contractor who is licensed?
You should get whatever licenses you need to work for yourself even if you're going to work for the man.

If you lose your job you will not have to depend on getting hired by someone else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts