Electrician Talk banner

Tracing 120 Volt Circuit

7858 36
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking your time to look at my post and help me out in anyway that you can.

I have a question regarding tracing a circuit in my house.

My bathroom circuit is on the same circuit as three bedrooms in my house, as well as part of my basement. I want to run a new homerun to my bathroom so the receptacle is dedicated.

Where i get stuck in this is my attic. I have a ranch style house, and i know that the bathroom is being fed from a cable in my attic. What would be the easiest way to "trace" the cable thats feeding my bathroom receptacle so i can find the closest junction box and mount a new junction box near the current one where i will run my new homerun into? I was looking at the Klein Circuit Breaker Finder, if i were to plug that into the bathroom receptacle, would i be able to take this into the attic and check the cables until it indicates which one it is? Or will this strictly work for inside of the panel?

If you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate them, thank you for your help.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,119 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking your time to look at my post and help me out in anyway that you can.

I have a question regarding tracing a circuit in my house.

My bathroom circuit is on the same circuit as three bedrooms in my house, as well as part of my basement. I want to run a new homerun to my bathroom so the receptacle is dedicated.

Where i get stuck in this is my attic. I have a ranch style house, and i know that the bathroom is being fed from a cable in my attic. What would be the easiest way to "trace" the cable thats feeding my bathroom receptacle so i can find the closest junction box and mount a new junction box near the current one where i will run my new homerun into? I was looking at the Klein Circuit Breaker Finder, if i were to plug that into the bathroom receptacle, would i be able to take this into the attic and check the cables until it indicates which one it is? Or will this strictly work for inside of the panel?

If you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate them, thank you for your help.

Let me get your phone number email and job address. I'd be happy to come out and take a look for you. Unfortunately there are just too many variables to walk you through the steps over the intranets. Thank you I'm looking forward to looking at your project.

· Florida resident
3,896 Posts
You will spend more time and money trying to do this yourself than if you just called an electrician out in the first place

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking to buy the "Fluke Networks Pro 3000 Tone and Probe Kit" Would this work well. I will have to de-energize the circuit which is better than nothing. Will it work through the cables insulation? Or does it have to be held near bare conductors?

· Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,119 Posts
Aside from a pull chain fixture, 10:1 there are no junction boxes on your attic what so ever. Rather than wasting time and money researching then buying a circuit tracer, FISH THE WALL. If you know how to identify it with a meter, certainly you can fish a wall. Fishing a wall is faster and cheaper and easier then finding a circuit.

Frankly, I am surprised this thread is still open:whistling2:

· Registered
1,185 Posts

I have one of these on the truck. They're close to a grand retail. I also have most any type of breaker stocked to add this circuit, including split breakers if the panel is full. I have a set of 130$ glow rods, I have a 400$ set of makita cordless drills and the right paddle or auger bit to drill the top plate in the bathroom to add this circuit. I also have a diversabit in case there's a fire block. I have the 12/2, the new GFCI to replace your existing one if it's outdated or not there. I have 1/2" push in bushings for your panel KO so you don't have a fire hazard with the new Romex entering the panel. I have 15+ years of experience in this trade, carry 2,000,000$ worth of liability insurance, as well as work comp and a state masters license/several municipal licenses.

All that, and I could run this circuit for you in an hour maybe two... For between 500-650$ (exact price before I start after I take a look). I'd also visually inspect your attic wiring, tighten down all the connections in your panel, make sure your service is safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.