Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I was thinking about getting into the trade and had a few questions about it. First a little background.

I'm 22 years old and am currently working at a car dealership as a technician. I've completed my AAS in Automotive Technology and am eligible to become a ASE Master Certified tech, but I find the work...lacking...in excitement and variation. I got into the trade because I love to use my head to solve problems, but it seems like there isn't a lot of challenges for me. I know quite a bit about DC electricity, but hardly anything about AC. I've read a bit of an introduction to AC, and I know I'll be able to wrap my mind around it rather easily when the time comes.

In anycase, I was wondering what the best way to get into the trade is? Or what's the easiest? I don't think I can afford to go to college to get another degree, I paid for my AAS completely out of pocket and it was tough. And I don't really want to take a pay cut either, I've only been a tech professionally for about a year and am making $12/hr. I hear that an apprentice would make about $10/hr where I live, and that would be really tough on me.

I absolutely love doing electrical diagnosis on vehicles, and I figure if I love it so much on cars, why not do it professionally on everything else?

Anyways, I would really appreciate any input, advice, or tips you guys can give. BTW, I live in Southern Oregon, so if anybody has advice specific for that area it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting into the trade

One of the easiest ways to get into the trade is getting into the unions. They offer very good pay “scale”, also classes to get your licenses and much more.
You always can try to work for any electrical company and seek to get educated through county and state programs. Many companies offer compensation for education in the trade
Good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
One of the easiest ways to get into the trade is getting into the unions. They offer very good pay “scale”, also classes to get your licenses and much more.
You always can try to work for any electrical company and seek to get educated through county and state programs. Many companies offer compensation for education in the trade
Good luck
Something tells me that your advice is a little bit late..... like 2 1/2 years!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.